1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stone Driveways..Some questions..

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by aaronm, Jun 4, 2008.

1. aaronm

aaronm LawnSite Member

1st question.

I have a 94 f-450/pwrstk with a grain body dump

How many Tons of stone do you think I can get in this truck?

the job calls for 10-15 tons of stone to be graded into an existing driveway which has been damaged by run-off water.

Is this to much to do by hand(2 people) or would renting a bob cat be a better Idea?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

How much can it lift? just kidding. Not sure what your legal payload is, but I don't even try to haul stone with my f-450 unless it is for a small job. 4-6k of river rock is comfortable, but I only run it short distances where I am not going to get weighed or anything. If I need stone for my drives and parking areas I just bite the bullet and pay my buddy to send one of his 3-4 axle dumps. With the price of fuel and time to and from the quarry you might find it worthwhile to hire it out and let them tailgate it. I was paying $215-225 for 20-25ton loads delivered but that was a month or so ago before the last 50 cent jump in gas/diesel. Hope that helps.