1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Stone estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ron mexico75, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a different formula for figuring how much gravel you need then the one you use for mulch?

I plan on using some brown river rock in several beds and sloping areas. Client is strongly against mulch.

2. ron mexico75

anyone? I have a good idea of how much I need but was wondering if the formula was different since gravel is sold in tons and not yards. At least that's what I've seen at a few different places.

3. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

4. ron mexico75

Thanks man. Yeah I've seen a few of these "calculators" but was wondering how you calculate. You know, mulch is: sq ft X depth divided by 27. Just wondering, not a huge deal I guess since there is always an online calculator.

5. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

with stone around here the figure it by the ton and my expirence is that a "yard" of stone weighs about 1.5- 1.75 tons.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

#3 River gravel is very close to 1 ton per yard.

I've always had a hard time estimating river gravel. I estimated 8 yards for a job once and only used 4.5. Fine by me, I saved 70 bucks.

7. makbootzy

makbootzy LawnSite Member

you can buy rock by the ton. They will tell you how much area it will cover. 1 ton of 1-2" river rock covers about 90sqft. So what you need to do is measure where its going... say 10'x4' = 40sqft divide by 90 is .44. So about 1/2 ton.