Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does the LCO's territory stop? My opinion has been that I'm there to cut grass and the owner can take care of what grows in his stones and mulch (unless I get paid to do them). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
do what you want, but i never leave before i think everything looks good. I never usually have to go to much trouble to do so but if there are some tall weeds ill wack em down but nothing more unless asked. I just want it to look good so i get a good rep.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If I see some high weeds in the outer edge of a bed near the grass, I will knock it down with the Shindaiwa. I do not do any bed work unless the homeowner requests it. Then they are charged accordingly. :)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I include everything that it takes to MAINTAIN their entire property in the contract.

Use pre-M, and whatever breaks through Roundup.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
My responsibility stops at the edge of the bed. If the customer desires weeding I have a guy that I set up in a gardening service who will come and do it. I've learned 2 things over the years. If you do it once they will always expect it and that "weed" that you just hacked down was actually a rare $10,000 Mongolian Ringworm plant.

I stay out of the beds.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Originally posted by Richard Martin
My responsibility stops at the edge of the bed. If the customer desires weeding I have a guy that I set up in a gardening service who will come and do it. I've learned 2 things over the years. If you do it once they will always expect it and that "weed" that you just hacked down was actually a rare $10,000 Mongolian Ringworm plant.

I stay out of the beds.
I agree completely. Do it once and they complain next time you dont do it. I might ask if they want the weeds sprayed and cut next time or so. There happy with that until they get the price, usually not too much for a small area but they really hate paying anymore than they have to. The buggers!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Our responsibility ends where our maintenance agreement ends. Most have us weeding the beds - never with a weed eater of course, either hand pull or roundup.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
This isn't a problem usually but one of my accounts has a white hollow plastic fence (like a picket but not wood) and about 10" wide section of stones all the way around it inside and out, they don't weed the outside (don't think they even ever go outside of the fence LOL) and I knock it down a bit every few weeks so it's not 2' tall.... it's almost hard to tell the rocks are there because of the weeds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have some clients that it's in the contract to pull weeds from the beds. Others have a complete property maintenance contract, and this would be covered. But some poeple just want to pay to have the lawn cut. In these cases I will tell them that for an additional fee we can pull the weeds. But if it's something simple that will only take a minute we will do it just to keep the yard looking good, because people see us doing the work and it reflects on us.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If all i'm being paid to do is maintain the lawn and stringtrim around things in the lawn then the answer is no I don't do inside the mulch beds or rock gardens etc...

Unless they want to pay extra for that service.

Dan

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If i'm walking around rock or flower beds and i see a little bit of GRASS inside the beds, I will knock it down if it doesn't slow me down. I don't whack the big weeds, the end up laying all over the lawn and it looks tacky.....unless I go back and pick them all up, which would again slow me down. I bid the lawn to mow trim and blow within a certain timeframe. Taking the time to whack weeds inside the beds would require more time, thus i'm not making the money i need to make. It all adds up.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by Richard Martin

I stay out of the beds.
Wise advice. Unless you know what's what you will eventually kill some ugly 'weed' that they loved. I used to trim-spray with roundup around beds if there wasn't a problem with hitting anything valuable, but since I dropped my license for that it's up to the customer.

Anybody who can't walk outside 3-4 times a year for 10 minutes and spritz their weeds with roundup themselves needs a year-round, full service lawncare company, and the resulting tripling of costs vs. a mow/blow/go operation.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
We only do primo service. It is what is expected in my area. We only work for those that pay what we quote.

I've said this before in one of my posts.

We manage the landscape not maintain.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
we only trim what is in the yard, not in the landscaping beds. That is reserved for our landscaping maintenance crew

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.