1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Straight verses a Curved Shaft string trimmer for Ditches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JLH52, Jun 28, 2020.

1. JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

I'm currently using an Echo 2620 T straight shaft trimmer. On my farm I cut lots of deep ditches with heavy dense grass and lots of weeds. I'm walking on hip of ditch’s holding trimmer down in awkward position. Holding a straight shaft trimmer for extended periods of time, 2 or more hours cutting ditch banks gets very tiresome on the wrist.

I've never used a straight shaft trimmer, but it occurred to me that maybe with the curved shaft the cutting head would be on a different angle. Therefore I might be able to hold the trimmer in a more normal position. I'm thinking the ergonomics of the curved shaft might work better for my application than my current straight shaft.

If my train of thought is correct, any suggestions on curved shaft trimmers would be appreciated. I looked at Echo's website, only 4 curved shaft trimmers are listed.

The GT-225L the longest of their curved shaft trimmers (55 in.), however their curved shaft trimmers only have 21.2 cc. I may need more power for the heavy cutting I do.

Thanks for replies.

2. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

My local dealers don’t have curved shaft trimmers on the wall. I don’t know that you’ll get more than the 21cc echo offering. I don’t see how a curved shaft would be More useful regardless of situation. Maybe you could swap out the shaft on your 2620T with a curved trimmer shaft. Idk

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

i don’t want to get rid of my current trimmer, just interested in buying a curved shaft if it would be more user friendly cutting ditches.

4. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

Cam15 and Scottdubya83 like this.
  5. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

I hear ya. I don’t think there are any curved shaft trimmers that would handle what your trying to do any where close to as well as your 2620T. I have a pas2620 with the max torque trimmer attachment, it’s a bad son of a gun. Going from that to a gt225 would literally make me quit. To keep the power you need yet be more comfortable, I’d look at the bicycle bars on a big Stihl (cant vouch, never ran bicyclr bars) or a sling (do they all still come with slings, I haven’t got one with any of my recent trimmers..? Or maybe it was just the echos that came with slings?.) Idk.

A different trimmer could make it more comfortable. Try holding different trimmers to check balance. . I’ve got that 2620t and if I need to knock down a ditch, it’ll do so well. But so will my RedMax and Huskys (well rebranded RedMax) They are also significantly better balanced than the 2620t thus moving the head in any way is less fatiguing. That slight balance of weight makes a difference especially over extended periods of time. (IMO/IME)

6. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

The cheapest option is stop trimming from the top of the ditch and leaning down into it. It's less strenuous if you are on the slope and work side to side, from the bottom up. You need to hold it close to your body and it takes strain off your back.

hort101, Valk and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I do this whenever I’m trimming ditches.

Youngandfree and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply, but the depth and type of ditches I'm cutting can only be reached from top. Ditches are deep with most having straight up vertical slopes.

I may try the Darwin's grip handle as suggested above, went to YouTube and watched several reviews. Darwin's grip might be the real deal.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe already mentioned, but the head of a curved shaft trimmer rotates in the opposite direction. .02

10. Ole_blue

Ole_blue LawnSite Member

Might be better with adjustable long reach hedge trimmers

Ridin' Green and Crazy 4 grass like this.