Strange Encounter Today

bluetruck

LawnSite Senior Member
For what it's worth by flatbed truck is open.

I'm not saying I don't want to be safe and correct when doing things.

While I don't know all the logistics of this, what is the difference between a normal vehicle and a mower? Both are sitting on rubber tires. How am I grounded, 100% of the time I have on rubber shoes?

flat bed truck is no problem at all, just a pick up body specially with the tail gate up is like a pool for the gas fumes. the logistics could not be any more simple.

you are holding the gas nozzle with you RIGHT hand, with your LEFT hand touch what ever your are about to fuel with gas/diesel. the body of your truck if you are fueling your truck, the side of the gas tank on your mower if you are filling your mower. grounded doesnt have to mean you have youre bare feet in a mud puddle, grounded means you have a path which electric current can flow, for better or worse. the static will flow from your right hand that is holding the nozzle to through your left hand and will be away from the gas fumes.

this also is something that should be done with ANY thing you are filling with gas. EXTREMELY simple thing that takes almost no extra time, might save you a trip to the hospital or worse.

by using your non pumping hand to touch the side of your mower/truck, IF there is going to be a static spark you it will be in a non critical location AWAY from the gas fumes.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Been mowing for 15 years with friends who have been in business for longer. Haven’t seen one explosion at a gas station , heard about one in the world. Even while on my cell phone. (Sign says do not use cell phone) we get gas well every day! ‍♂️ Dudes a chump. Also. The 2nd amendment is ur friend. We always apply this to our on persons while
Working! Lol! People are crazy..

HenryN

LawnSite Member
While I have not personally witnessed a fire at a gas station, I have seen some near calamities. In the summer of 1966 I was working in a gas station, the old fashioned full service kind. This was in the small town in East Texas where I grew up. A man came in with a brand new Ford half ton pickup, regular cab, step side. That particular model had the gas tank inside the cab, right behind the drivers seat. The filler opening was just behind the driver’s door, and up fairly high.

He asked for a fill up, and headed off to the rest room. I started the gas, and proceeded to clean his windshield, wait on other customers, etc. A few minutes later, I saw gasoline pouring out from under the drivers door. The factory had not installed the clamps holding the rubber hose that made up part of the filler mechanism, and it had come loose, allowing the gasoline to just pour out onto the floor board of the truck after the tank was full.

These days, they would probably call out the hazardous spill team and shut down everything for a week. In 1966, we just took the water hose and flushed everything thoroughly, including the inside of the truck. We did make the other customers wait until the gasoline was flushed away before letting them start their cars and drive away.

nickg13

LawnSite Member
easiest fix for all of you, hold the gas nozzle with one hand, with the OTHER hand touch the side of the tank or the truck or whatever you are filling, BEFORE you touch the nozzle to the tank/truck. there you go, you grounded the tank/truck with yourself and equalized to the gas nozzle. been doing this since i was old enough to use a gas can or pump. saved me from going boom at least 2-3 times, got a static spark through my hand instead of the nozzle. this also works for filling from a portable gas can too.

You're on the right track, and I don't want to poo poo your idea, but since it's a safety issue I think it's worth commenting.

This approach is bonding not grounding. Grounding involves an electrode in the ground and conductive (ie metal) materials end to end, and I don't think the human body is an approved bonding or grounding material.

The approach may not work in some cases. Around here most nozzle handles are wrapped with rubber so the charge, coupled with the human body, may not transfer. Also if either hand let's go before filling you're back to square one.

My suggestions are:
  1. Make sure all engine(s) are off
  2. Before turning the pump on (ie squeezing the nozzle's trigger) touch the side of the nozzle's (metal) spout to the device being filled, not inside the fuel can/tank. That will ground it since the fuel spout is grounded. Alternatively place the fuel cans in contact with a metal part of the pump, which is also grounded.
This is how cars are (unknowingly) grounded when they fill up: the spout touches the filler tube. It's also one of the reasons the engine is supposed to be off while filling (static buildup).

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
One time back in the 70s when I was a teenager, I was out on my bicycle and stopped to hang out with a friend, he was working at a gas/service station pumping gas.

We see a lady driving a car towards the gas station with loads of smoke coming out of the engine compartment. As she approaches, we can see that there are also flames coming out. The car is clearly on freakin' fire.

She proceeds to...get this...PULL UP TO THE PUMPS! We all start screaming at her to get the car away from the pumps, but we were also backing up real fast, and starting to run away. She finally gets the hint and drives it forward about 50 feet. By the time to fire dept arrived the car was engulfed.

OK, way off topic, but had to share.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
Was in PA last year, filling up a rental minivan. Guy pulls up on a motorcycle, at the pump next to me. I take a look over, he's got a lit cig in his mouth. Which is directly over his open gas tank. I mention that he may want to move the cig so it doesn't drop an ember right into the tank. He thanks me and gets off the bike to finish his smoke. And I thought not having a helmet law was risky!

nickg13

LawnSite Member
Coincidentally noticed this for the first time today (costco)

20200618_225517.jpg

Top Forums