1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

strap down Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mak2, Oct 22, 2005.

1. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

My wife broke her arm a while back and I took her to the doctor a couple of weeks ago. While there I watched the mowing guys doing an excellent job with a couple of Z's and a WB. Very professional, nice work. When loading the trailer they drove the Z's on, then the WB, put up the gate and left. I looked for that prolocker thing there was not one, there were no lock downs or straps on the equiptment. I have watched a couple of other guys since then, they did not appear to strap down their gear either. Is this common practice?

2. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I don't strap my two z's. I strap my two 21" though. My trailer has 4 foot mesh sides all the way around also. If I just had a utility trailer with no sides (or 1 foot) I probably would. I have had to make several emergency stops in the past and they do not move much at all. I have a steel floor that may help with that.

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

It is illegal to have unstraped machines on a trailer. Seems like a big risk for a small amount of time. Tie downs are cheap insurance.

4. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

yea, I just feel better if they are tied down. But this is my first year and I need to get much faster next spring.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I really dont understand why the need to strap down if you have side rails on a trailer. Where is it going to go? I have a z and a w/b and have never had a problem even driving on the highway.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I never strap mine down. They don't move or go anywhere. The sides on my trailer are 2 ft..

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here in MN you don't have to have a load tied down as long as there's a railing around.

8. JTW

JTW LawnSite Member

NY DOT will fine you if you are not strapped down.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Me either. If your in a position that the mower is more than 2 feet above the trailer sides your screwed any way you look at it.

10. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

In Indiana, D.O.T. will fine you for not having equipment secured. I have a grade 80 chain on the front of each WB and a grade 80 chain on the front and back of each ZTR. A Chain goes from a D-ring on a cross member on the trailer floor to a D-ring on each machine, this is faster to hook and unhook than a strap and a chain is much stronger. I wasn't really worried about the equipment moving around a little, my main concern was a crash or roll over. Last thing I need is a mower coming through a wall and taking out another auto or pedestrian during a crash. I run all enclosed trailers. Better safe that sorry. Just my opinion.:blob3: