• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Strato-Charged, PureFire and Other EPA 2-Cycle

intravino

LawnSite Member
Hey,

What is the reputation of Strato-Charged (Redmax) engine?

I was thinking at first that this was a good engine but I read lots of previous negative comments here, what is the latest on this ?

What about the PureFire (Tanaka)? Better or the same?

I did not see any negative comments about the EPA Echo, Stihl or Shindaiwa engines.

Vogel-Landscaping

LawnSite Member
I dont have problems with my strato rexmax weed whackers i have 5. I have a lot of other rexmax equipment also and i love redmax. The only problem i have with my weed wackers is buildup out of the cylinder into the exhaust. It kills power and makes the wacker seem like its dying. but its not it just needs a tune up. I do the tuneups so they are care free. Also i had more problems before i started running high octane in all my 2 stoke and the oil mix i use is high grade and expensive but well worth it.

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
New Tanaka pure fire, Kawisaki KGT27, Redmax strato and Maruyama all use some sort of strato type of engine where it put a puff of dry air right in between the exhaust and the fresh charge part of the cycle to prevent unburn mix to go directly to the exhaust.

They all have a cold reputation which include harder to start and take a while to warm up. Shindaiwa and Echo don't use strato type technology. but they are tune very lean so you still need warmup. I have the Shindaiwa M242 which is not bad. I let it idle for about 20 second befor pulling high rpm. My Maruyama bp is a strato type, but it is not bad.

All the newer cycle models are NOT getting better!!! So take your poision.

OP
I

intravino

LawnSite Member
What bout their reliability?

Better or worst compared to the older 2 stroke engines?

Thanks,

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
What bout their reliability?

Better or worst compared to the older 2 stroke engines?

Thanks,
If you do a search on the redmax, there is no reliability issue and longivity issue that I have seen. BUT lots of complains about hard starting AND the most important of it all, takes a long time to warmup. But somehow, this does not seem to apply to the big blowers. My Maru is a strato type and always 2 pull start and by the time I put on my back, it pull full rpm already.

They even have to come up with warmup procedure like invert the engine and WOT etc. Do a search, you'll find a lot of info.

HenryB

LawnSite Bronze Member
We got away from the Strato-Charged trimmers. They are hard to work with bog down alot until at least a minute warmup. Very cold natured. Stihl fs 100rx have been a great replacement.