Straw Mulching

Premier Landscaping

LawnSite Member
Those of you doing straw mulching, what are you using for your mulchers? I need to pick one up this spring, as we have quite a few acres along a couple highway projects this year. I am going to go with a round bale processor behind a tractor, rather then a finn, or other similar machines, due to it being a lot easier to find, move and handle round bales. I have been looking at haybuster 2654's, and was curious if anyone has first hand experience to know if it is worth the extra money for the chute, or if a 2650 side discharge works just as good. All it will be used for is erosion control. Thanks for any and all help.

J. Peterson Grading

LawnSite Senior Member
Guys here use Haybusters and Vermeers.

I like how the Haybusters throw personally, they keep it low to the ground and seem to throw thick for better crimping and less blowing around.

The Vermeers throw farther, but throw a narrower pattern and it seems like the wind affects the Vermeers pattern more.

I have seeded in front, and Crimped behind both, I like the Haybuster's finished product more.

J.

OP
P

Premier Landscaping

LawnSite Member
J

Are the guys in your area using the 2650's or the 2654's. The guys around here all use the 2650's, but I am not sure if they do just because of price, or if their is not a lot of advantage with the 2654 over the 2650.