• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Straw why do you use it?

Airwave

LawnSite Member
Just curious why you guys and ladies over in the US use straw when seeding we have never done this here in Ireland. Maybe something we should do if there is a good reason for it. Thanks in advance.

OP
A

Airwave

LawnSite Member
Fair enough I had kinda guessed that part will think about maybe testing it out here although not sure how clients will react when they see a lawn full of straw instead of seed. Do you go back and take straw off or does customer do it?

FATWEASEL

LawnSite Senior Member
The grass grows through it and the straw decomposes into the lawn. Not everyone uses straw. Some use nothing, some topdress with topsoil, mushroom compost, even some paper products (pellets).

Andy:)

OP
A

Airwave

LawnSite Member
Not a clue never bought any before prob would end up being quite expensive to cover a 1 acre lawn with straw plus the time it would take to cover it. I am looking to buy a new seeder for my new second hand tractor which I am hoping to purchase I think with pre seed fertilizer and everything it should be sufficient but still interesting about using the straw.