1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Stream Around Mature Weeping Cherry

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by dfherrera, May 17, 2007.

1. dfherrera

dfherrera LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried to build a stream around a mature weeping cheery tree? I want to construct one for my pond but am worried about the roots. I was thinking about a concrete waterway but then started thinking that it would not be flexable enough for the tree. Would using a liner work better?

I want to completely surround the tree so it is an island and the water flows around both sides. I only want about a 3 foot diameter around the trunk.

Thanks

Dan

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

How is the cherry going to get water and nutrients. Sounds like you might be cutting these vitals off with your stream.

3. dfherrera

I use fertilzer spikes that I hammer in the groud by the base so that should be ok. As for watering, I think it will still get enough with the three foot diameter circle around the trunk. We water the garden each day so I am hoping this will not be a problem.

Thanks

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I am concerned about your tree. how long has it been there. The majority of a trees fibrous roots are clear out by the dripline of the trees foliage. There are very few roots on a mature tree by the trunk. If you do much excavating on all sides of the tree it will surely die. Maybe a year or two.

If however it is a recently planted tree you are okay. A flexible EPDM rubber pond liner is your best bet for waterfalls tree or no tree. Last forever and easy to use.

Good luck.

5. dfherrera

Venturewest;

Thank you for the information. The tree has been there about seven years so I think I will adjust my plan and onlygo to one side of the tree a little farther out. Maybe I can add soil on top and not excavate down too far. I only need about a few inches of depth for the "stream".

Thanks again

6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a good idea. I bet that is a pretty tree. How big is a weeping cherry? The nurseries sell some little weeping snow cherries here in oklahoma but I have only seen them as small patio trees. It is a little bit warm here.

I was going to ask if you have a good dealer for liner in your area. If not there is a good one online called Pond Pro Shop. They are actually an hour from me and they are a big wholesaler and retailer. You can probably get a good price on liner from them and anything else you might need.