Stress!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tanum, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Good morning
    I run a landscape & maintenance Company and have a staff of eight, but I find I am working longer and longer hours. I never seem to catch-up. For the past two months my hours have progressively gotten longer to a point I now have to go in on Sunday to do paper work. Last week I did five 14hr days 6am to 8pm Monday-Friday and a eight hr day on the Saturday which felt like a half day. I also drive some of the bigger machines, so its not just management.
    I am the Managing director, contracts manager, Ransomes driver, general machine fixer-uper. I need to take company to the next level, but 1. don't have the time and 2. I am so stressed all the time. I guess its time I let the deadwood go and learn to say "no". Have any of ye been in my position, is it just me? What did you do to make things run better?

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you should learn to delegate a little better, or come up with some more efficient systems for your company. Maybe you are ready to expand a lil more IE hire some more help.

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. The employees you have helping you ATM are fine with you being a One man wrecking machine, now it is time to deligate some of your duties and find someone who will monitor these employees and report back to you say on a weekly basis. That way you can lessen your physical/mental work load.
    Delegating authority is always challenging due to the natural risk and concerns that come with such a decision. Even with every thing you mentioned I am sure there are still other things that can be added to that list so take the time now before you end up in hospital or worse. All the best.
    easy-lift guy

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

If your employees are working that many hours mon - sat you need to hire more, raise prices, both.

The time comes when the owner has to stop going out as if he still was a solo operator and hire a right hand man to fill his spot in the field.

5. OP
    OP
    Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Just me working the long hours. I actually enjoy being on the tools. I guess j have to decide which I want more.. working in the business or working on the business. I am reaching burnout, everything is suffering. I need a holiday
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the following books:
    "The E-Myth Revisited" by Micheal E. Gerber
    "The 4-hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferriss.
    This will help you to see the source of your problems, and a solution as well.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I left the stressful corporate world for lawncare. Im SOLO and have never looked back.

I dont know your situation but you might consider going solo.

8. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Do like I have. Hire someone that will get the job done, even when your not there. I hired that guy, but he doesn't start full time until July 17. He worked for me in the past and then took a position with Toyota Mfg. 3 yrs of that hell and he wanted to come back. He will free up 60% of my time and I will have the time again to work ON the business instead of in. Good luck to you! This will take a little time, but it can happen for you.

9. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have learned especially this year that there's a time to call it a day and even a week.... I was in the same situation you are in. Couldn't get it off my mind when I did have free time. I decided to never work a Saturday or Sunday again as long as weather doesn't set me back. Now I am getting to the point of not even looking at my phone after business hours. It helps alot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. OP
    OP
    Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Thank you all so much of taking the time to answer my question. I took the day off yesterday and just "stopped". I am now in the office were I should be. The guys are happier too. I am going on site visits on Monday, I have to manage my time better and really look at the business. I do make a good living from it, maybe its time I started enjoying the fruits of my labour. I also was out last night with friends Euros 2012 Spain 4- 0 Ireland Grrrrr. All of the buds said the same thing, I have a great business and I just cant see it. Maybe I need to separate the wood from the trees and look at the bigger picture. I also made a decision to get rid of smaller contacts that simply don't pay.
    Thanks again
    Regards Cian :irishflag: