String trimmer line thickness

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Most of y’all know I run an electric string trimmer and that I really like it. I’m thinking a lot about string diameter lately and decided to ask. I’ve been running black diamond.105 most of the year and it’s doing just fine but I’m wondering if I need such a thick gauge. I’m only doing maintenance and there’s not a whole lot of grass in my everyday life that is difficult to trim. I run at 1/4-1/2 throttle 75% of the time.
What are the trade offs on the various sizes? If I were to run .065 or .080 I could wind much more on a spool but it might break or wear more quickly, but be easier on the motor and whatever I’m trimming against I would think, going up to .095 would obviously be a blend of pros/cons. During the summer some of the ditches I trim have some tough stuff but I’m moving away from those types of headaches next year.

As a side note I really enjoy how quiet the black diamond is. The few other brands I’ve used have all been a lot louder.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
We run .095 black diamond in our fleet. We have noticed it doesn't have the guts to cut heavy overgrowth but for day in and day out turf it's more than sufficient. It also doesn't seem to break off as often.
Honestly, my electric trimmer doesn’t have the guts to tackle serious trimming either. I either “just get through it” or crank the emergency gas unit.

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
It depends on what trimmer. For your Ryobi trimmers, they’d probably shine with .080 or maybe .095. Any trimmer would just burn through .065 in an instant. For me, the srm2100 gets .095 Black Diamond. My 2620 and 111 run .105 Black Diamond. My 265RX would just break line.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
My DeWalt trimmer says to use .080, but I was told by DeWalt that they actually made it to work with .095 as well, and aside from theoretically using more juice, it won't hurt anything, so that's what I've always run in it - the same as I use on my Stihl.

Never cared to try anything else. It works.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
The Ryobi says .095 max but .105 fit and runs fine. I just looked for .080 diamond but looks like echo doesn’t make it. I kinda wondered if a thinner line would be sharper but with the sharp edges seems any size would be sharp.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Always did .095 I think any larger you are going to harm the machine especially if you aren’t running a safety guard on it (which limits string length) and/ or have a large 36cc trimmer like a Stihl 131

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Battery Trimmer with .105? Thats way more line than that thing needs. Def go .080 or .095.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I run guards and the swath is 15”. The powerhead gets the .105 ripping around but it sounds more or less unnecessary and I can be getting more line for my dollar going .095. I’m thinking especially now that the grass is beginning to loose it’s vigor.

Top Forums