String trimmer line thickness

another member

LawnSite Member
.095 Black Diamond on the Stihl, the million-year old Homelite (I bought it for my father in 1997), and even on my Ego. The Stihl is my go-to for when I want to spend 15 minutes destroying underbrush, the Homelite for ditches, and the Ego for use at home. I have a couple walk-behind trimmers running .155 but those aren't hand-held.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
The .095 is great. The echo reel from hone Depot or the x one from stihl.

the 105 for some reason with a stock bump head doesn’t feed well if string gets short. Most of us can hear and feel it in the trimmer but a word to the wise keep at 12-16 or you’re not getting it out.

The don

LawnSite Member
Most of y’all know I run an electric string trimmer and that I really like it. I’m thinking a lot about string diameter lately and decided to ask. I’ve been running black diamond.105 most of the year and it’s doing just fine but I’m wondering if I need such a thick gauge. I’m only doing maintenance and there’s not a whole lot of grass in my everyday life that is difficult to trim. I run at 1/4-1/2 throttle 75% of the time.
What are the trade offs on the various sizes? If I were to run .065 or .080 I could wind much more on a spool but it might break or wear more quickly, but be easier on the motor and whatever I’m trimming against I would think, going up to .095 would obviously be a blend of pros/cons. During the summer some of the ditches I trim have some tough stuff but I’m moving away from those types of headaches next year.

As a side note I really enjoy how quiet the black diamond is. The few other brands I’ve used have all been a lot louder

Most of y’all know I run an electric string trimmer and that I really like it. I’m thinking a lot about string diameter lately and decided to ask. I’ve been running black diamond.105 most of the year and it’s doing just fine but I’m wondering if I need such a thick gauge. I’m only doing maintenance and there’s not a whole lot of grass in my everyday life that is difficult to trim. I run at 1/4-1/2 throttle 75% of the time.
What are the trade offs on the various sizes? If I were to run .065 or .080 I could wind much more on a spool but it might break or wear more quickly, but be easier on the motor and whatever I’m trimming against I would think, going up to .095 would obviously be a blend of pros/cons. During the summer some of the ditches I trim have some tough stuff but I’m moving away from those types of headaches next year.

As a side note I really enjoy how quiet the black diamond is. The few other brands I’ve used have all been a lot louder.
I don't run battery powered but that sounds a little thick for string. I run 105 Oregon string but I'm also using a 30cc range trimmer and it handles it great. The disadvantages you're not able to run out as much line with great efficiency as you are with a smaller gauge just really depends on what you're cutting. My opinion would be try 95 or maybe a little bit smaller.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
The 40v spins the.105 with a fury :weightlifter:

Now, with the fury of a 30cc? Not a chance, but it’s plenty strong either way. My spool of .105 is probably gonna last through the year but it seems like it’s unnecessary and forces more line refills. I’m definitely going back down to.095 next year.

Green Clean

LawnSite Member
I usually use .095 and it does pretty well but I have used some .080 that a customer gave me and it seemed to cut better but definitely wore out faster and actually cut into plastic easier...

The don

LawnSite Member
The 40v spins the.105 with a fury :weightlifter:

Now, with the fury of a 30cc? Not a chance, but it’s plenty strong either way. My spool of .105 is probably gonna last through the year but it seems like it’s unnecessary and forces more line refills. I’m definitely going back down to.095 next year.
How is the torque with the batt powered?

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I don’t have much to compare it to as I’ve been using it exclusively for almost two years now. I often say that I’m not gonna be string trimming hills along the highway with it but I almost never want for more unless I’m in a nasty ditch on a new property for the first time.
If it says anything, I’m not even remotely interested in getting a stihl or husqvarna gas or electric. I just had to replace the powerhead after possibly 1,000 or more uses. That’s string trimming, edging, hedge trimming and for a year and a half using a blower attachment on every yard. The metal pipe at the attachment clamp sheared off. I went right up the the depot and bought a new one without blinking an eye.

Green Clean

LawnSite Member
I don’t have much to compare it to as I’ve been using it exclusively for almost two years now. I often say that I’m not gonna be string trimming hills along the highway with it but I almost never want for more unless I’m in a nasty ditch on a new property for the first time.
If it says anything, I’m not even remotely interested in getting a stihl or husqvarna gas or electric. I just had to replace the powerhead after possibly 1,000 or more uses. That’s string trimming, edging, hedge trimming and for a year and a half using a blower attachment on every yard. The metal pipe at the attachment clamp sheared off. I went right up the the depot and bought a new one without blinking an eye.
I've gotta ask, what trimmer are you using? Everything electric I've seen seems so much less powerful than gas

Top Forums