String trimmer vs. Edger

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Texas Lawn, Nov 15, 2010.

?

What do you use for edging yards?

1. String Trimmer

72 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Edger

76 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone use an edger for trimming?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do. It is used to clear a line of grass between concrete or rock obstacles in a lawn. If the grass is below the level of a walkway going through a lawn, I use the edger to cut away 1/2' of grass. Makes for a very clean look vs not imposing a separation. I do the same at the base of rock walls. 1/2" of grass is cut back. The rest is trimmed with the counter rotating trimmer. I have often said that people would cry if they had to fertilize/spray lawns in Hawaii. I think having to mow and trim some lawn areas here would be worse. No "edging" with RoundUp allowed.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Still use the Maruyama landscape blade?

4. greendoctor

Yes. I sure do.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

When I was in Kauai back in Feb I saw a lot of "trimming" with gly, made me think of you.

6. greendoctor

Hotel and commercial landscapes are not to the same standards. Low end work does not fly when someone is paying more than $500 a month for residential lawn maintenance. The cheap people do kill edges with RoundUp or string trim everything.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Dirt perimeters and fencelines are sure sign of scrubbery or the occasional idiot HO.

8. greendoctor

I have seen edges turned into dirt. They were not sprayed. String trimming did that. When I take over maintenance of such a property, previously bare areas re establish themselves in the desired turf species. That can happen when trim work is done with a precision bladed trimmer that does not tear off stolons from the soil. It is a vicious cycle. Because the grass is abused on the trim areas, weeds grow. When the weeds grow, the illiterate savages scalp those areas so the property owner does not "see" the weeds. A few months of such treatment turns the trim areas into dirt that grows weeds.