1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brad, Mar 25, 2000.

1. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

Am contemplating the purchase of a new string trimmer and was wondering if I could get some pros and cons regarding straight vs. curved shafts. <p>Also, a quick question regarding the use of a trimmer. How do you edge with one of these units? I have a very cheap curved shaft Homelite trimmer and it seems hard to control to get a nice straight edge. What is the proper way to hold one of these trimmers to get a good finish?<p>Thanks to all.<p>Brad

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Straight shafts are best.<p>A straight shaft spins the head counter-clockwise and edging can be accomplished by walking backwards having the debris directed away from you.

3. Stoner

Stoner LawnSite Member
    from MA

Buy the straight shaft. The shaft is usually longer which can safe your back. I also find it easier to gauge distances to objects that need trimming.<br>

4. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We have both types. Our first straight shaft we bought only last year and it took awhile to get used to. I'd used curved shafts for 9 years. You CAN get a near perfect edge with a curved shaft using the same technique as Lazer mentioned with a straight shaft. Myself, my partner, and our employees are as good or better using curved than anyone using straight. We used the Homelite &quot;cheap&quot; models for years until switching to Echo since they make a commercial grade curved shaft. The nicest thing about the Homelites is they're super lightweight. I can trim one-handed either right or left with one of them. That comes in handy when you do 30 lawns in one day, to rest each shoulder equally. <p>Having said all that, I used a Shindaiwa T-230 all last year and although I hated it at first, I grew to like it more than our curved Echos. I'm 6'1&quot; and if you're tall, you know that the curved shaft forces you to be in a bent over position when trimming two-handed. The T-230 allows a more comfortable operator's stance. I trim righty and lefty with it as well. I'd recommend you go with a straight shaft and learn to do the same.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Straight shaft machines are generally more<br>suited to commercial work.Bent shaft is set<br>up for home owner use. Shindaiwa T230 is a <br>good unit but if you need a lot of power,go<br>for the Stihl.

6. bw

bw LawnSite Member

go with the straight shaft, much better and easier to use.

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Straight shaft. Like Lazer said, just walk backwards while edging and you get a nice edge. I also have the Shindaiwa T-230. Nice machine.

8. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello Everybody:<p>The straight shaft is the only way to go, personally speaking!<p>The straight shaft doesn't loose any power like the curve shaft does going through the curve.<p>It's further away from your feet thus making it easier to work with.<br>Most straight shaft has lifetime warranty on shaft.<p>Yes, it's easier to trim & edge walking backwards!<p>If you get the trimmer handle & strap adjusted just right just for you. You can run it all day long. <p>The main problem with fatigue running these is gripping them way too hard. Handle & strap adjusted right you can virtually stand straight up & barely hold with finger tips, run all day with no shoulder pain.<p>We always stood on grass side when edging against concrete & beds. Always cut with the tip of the line, this reduces line welding in head & line breaking off to almost none at all. Yes even against chain link fence. If you do it like this & use good quality line, you could cut through a piece of plywood!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<br>

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I find it easier to edge walking forwards, I wish I could describe how I hold the trimmer while edging, maybe Ill have my wife take a photo and Ill post it up sometime. Never get crap in the face, though I always wear glasses while trimming.<p>Bill

10. Lawnforce 2

Lawnforce 2 Guest

Hi,<br>I find the straight shaft to be better than the curved myself, like alot of the other guys were saying. It handles better , because of the longer neck. befor i went into the lawn buss. with my partner, I used a curved shaft. To me it lost power on some tough grass spots. I just bought a Honda 4 stroke trimmer, it has plenty of power. I recomend it to anyone in the lawncare buss. At the half trottle of the honda 4 stroke , it cuts the same as most of the other 2 stroke trimmers do at full throttle. So if you aim to try out the new Honda 4 stroke I do highly recomend it to you guys. me personaly speaking , think it is the way to go plus it is light weight to go. it only cost me $367.98