string trimming backwards next to flower beds

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
Does anyone walk backwards with the string trimmer when doing flat by the flower beds? So you don't fling all the grass into the bed? Or do you just walk all the way down the flower bed, weedeat forward, then walk all the way back, and then edge?

Fatwood

LawnSite Senior Member
99% of the time I trim with my left hand on the throttle and my right hand on the loop handle. You can walk forward and trim going right to left.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Does anyone walk backwards with the string trimmer when doing flat by the flower beds? So you don't fling all the grass into the bed? Or do you just walk all the way down the flower bed, weedeat forward, then walk all the way back, and then edge?
Around beds i trim going backwards. Around trees and such walk normally

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Just tilt the head slightly so you are trimming with the side where the line is moving away from the bed. It doesn't keep 100 % from getting in but the vast vast majority. It's what Ive trained my guys to do.

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
i always go counter clockwise when trimming. Works best for me!

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member

When you trim with the left side of trimmer Head it flings grass bavk towards you, keeping grass out of beds.
If you’re edging beds you can hold edger by your waist and walk forward. That steep of an angle keeps grass clipping onto yard. Other way is vertically but spin head facing lawn walking forwards.

South Hills Lawns

LawnSite Member
I trim all the way around anything that needs trimmed going forward so it doesn’t fling grass into the beds after doing that I tilt the trimmer sideways and edge the beds while slowly moving forward. I do both so when I mow I can stay off the edge of the beds.

Top Forums