Lawn Care Forum banner

Stripes Are For Zebras

22K views 113 replies 38 participants last post by  yardguy28 
#1 ·
Do you personally like them? Some of my customers do. Others detest their lawn looking like a checker board. They want the look of a sprawling and solid palette of green. They think it less busy, and more relaxing and pleasing to look at.

What are your personal feelings on it, and what do your customers prefer?

#2 ·
Hate the look of striping. The worst eyesore created around here is when for the final mow of the season the deck is dropped much too low along with striping.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I like striping. Some of my customers prefer it but most don't care one way or the other. Here's my lawn last spring.

This is why I like it. If you look at all the other yards in that picture it makes Richard's yard stand out.

Down here it's rare to see people stripe mainly b/c the grass. I like stripes because it makes the yard stand out and make it unique.

#13 ·
I've only seen a total of 2 lawns striped out this way. One was a soccer field, and the other was a dairy. Aside from that, this practice is non-existent around here. I think our lawns are too small for striping anyways. IMO, it'd just look goofy if lawns here were striped.

#14 ·
Do you personally like them? Some of my customers do. Others detest their lawn looking like a checker board. They want the look of a sprawling and solid palette of green. They think it less busy, and more relaxing and pleasing to look at.

What are your personal feelings on it, and what do your customers prefer?
personally I stripe each and every lawn to the best of my mowers capability.

as for the clients. no one has ever said a work either way. it's not something that's asked and there really isn't an option as far as I'm concerned.

my mower is set up to stripe and I'm not gonna change it because half a dozen clients don't want those stripes.

but I do feel some spend too much time on stripping. like the guys who have there lines going straight through a flag pole or tree. I know how it's done and I'm not gonna waste my time going back over rows just so the circle isn't seen.

#17 ·
It's pretty simple how they are all straight aroun the pole. You try to make a pass where the edge of the deck skims the pole(ie: go to the left of the pole, right side of deck towards pole) and then turn to the right at the end of the row, come back down and keep going straight until you hit the pole, back up a bit then hug the pole with the right side of the deck. Then go to the end of that row and turn left, come back and pretend like there is no bump-out where you had to go around, just keep Going straight
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
How did you keep the line straight around the flag pole? I would have a circle there unless it isn't visible from this angle.
I remove the flagpole. But then, that doesn't explain why there's no circle around the far tree does it? Hmmm

Heck I wanna know how y'all keep those lines as straight as they are!?!?
You have to steer where you want to go and not watch where you're going. It doesn't make sense unless you try it.

#20 ·
he just knows how to mow and takes pride in a job well done, its pretty simple, its not just about the grass you cut, but the lines you make along the way. The mower stripes regardless so you might as well make it look nice instead of just doing a zamboni, where one half is light and the other is dark with sqiuggles for tire tracks, just my thoughts.

#21 ·
Im guessing the flag pole is his starting point, so the mower goes right next to it on the first pass and and the other side on the second pass
Posted via Mobile Device
I would never start in the middle of a lawn.

when doing vertical or horizontal I start at the end and use the driveway or sidewalk for reference. when doing diagonal I still start at the far left or far right and work my way across.

but I also don't worry about making my stripes look like they went through the flag pole or tree. you will always see the pass around a tree or light post on my properties.

#22 ·
Im guessing the flag pole is his starting point, so the mower goes right next to it on the first pass and and the other side on the second pass
This is how I do it.

It's pretty simple how they are all straight aroun the pole. You try to make a pass where the edge of the deck skims the pole(ie: go to the left of the pole, right side of deck towards pole) and then turn to the right at the end of the row, come back down and keep going straight until you hit the pole, back up a bit then hug the pole with the right side of the deck. Then go to the end of that row and turn left, come back and pretend like there is no bump-out where you had to go around, just keep Going straight
You have it correct except you never pass something with the discharge side of the deck. The left side of the deck is towards the pole.

#24 ·
we have no stripes on southern grasses.

i was wondering why richard's yard is the only one that has stripes? all the yards here look like his neighbor's yards. lol

i think that flagpole ruins a good football field the kids in the neighborhood could use. lol

#26 ·
we have no stripes on southern grasses.

i was wondering why richard's yard is the only one that has stripes? all the yards here look like his neighbor's yards. lol

i think that flagpole ruins a good football field the kids in the neighborhood could use. lol
Check out my website, the majority of those stripe pics were taken on warm season grasses like Bahia and Centipede.

My yard is the only green one because I'm the only person that doesn't care for the look of dead grass for 6 months out of the year. It's overseeded with a mix of annual rye and tall fescue.

The kids in the neighborhood have their own large front yards to play in. All of the lawns on my street are large.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.