Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I just bought a John Deere z245 (I dont do this professionally) and I would like to put a striping kit on it.. I havent even got it home yet but i went and paid for it today and I am not even sure if it will just stripe naturally. But part of my lawn is a real high quality grass and it will stripe ok with my 21in honda. But i want it to stripe really well now that i have something that has the capabilities to do it..

also how tall should i cut my yard. my front yard is 50% random types of grass (wire grass, bermuda, contractors blend) and the rest is centipede. and my backyard is nothing but centipede. so how tall should i cut it? I have heard 3.5 inches si the perfect height but I am not sure that is why I am asking you professionals.. (and if you want to see pics of my new mower I will post some later if you would like)

and my dad and I used to cut a couple yards and we got out of it because we got back into bobcat and excavator work. but I am currently cutting one yard to pay for our business's ad in a local magazine and our work with the bobcat and the excavator have slowed down to almost nothing so what do you think we should do.. get a couple of accounts to help pay for the mower and to supplement our income and put some in savings to help float us through the winter.. and no I am not thinking of this because cutting grass is easy and pays ok.. I want to do this to help the business out and pay for the mower and I really enjoy it.. I spent all summer with a landscaper learning various things about the business (more of how to do things than what it is and what plants are what and I plan on going to Ohio state for my horticulture and landscape design degree.)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hmmmmmm - no answers. Well I'd try that new mower at 3.5 inches and see if it stripes. At that height your mixture of grass should stripe.

I have a mixture of bermuda and others in my own yard. My mower has a striping roller - factory installed but bermuda is hard to stripe.

I mow at 3-1/4" and have made a second device to enhance the stripes. I bought a heavy rubber floor mat 1/2" thick , cut it in half, and have it mounted on the rear of the mower.

Cost of the mat was about $16.00 at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
28,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not worried so much about the bermuda but that centipede I think will stripe well.. It striped ok with that little piece on the honda mower.. but thanks for the help.. now maybe i can get some more help!! come on guys I dont hang around here and I dont know alot about this but I am in the heavy equipment forum alot and I know if you guys came over there (and some of you do) we help you out..

·
Registered
28,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what i said in the original thread---well I just bought a John Deere z245 (I dont do this professionally) and I would like to put a striping kit on it.. I havent even got it home yet but i went and paid for it today and I am not even sure if it will just stripe naturally---

um i said that.. I am trying to get ideas on how to build a stripe kit if it doesnt stripe naturally.. and I am not sure if it will because I am currently cutting with the 21in about that high maybe higher and it doesnt stripe that well..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.