Lawn Care Forum banner

Stripping

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I have searched and read information regarding proper mowing techniques and stripping but still have a question regarding quality of cut.

I have a 48" Scag Belt Drive Walk behind. I am new to this device this season but I feel I have the functionality of it pretty well at hand. Nice machine for a first. When I mow the quality of the cut appears so that the left (opposite of discharge) side seems to yield a lower or browner strip than the right side. I usually mow at 2 and sometimes three with my larger lawns.

I have checked that rear tire pressure and I keep them at 14. I have meausred mowing deck distance and it seems ok.

If there is anyone familiar with the Scag 48" and have any advice I would appreciate it.

#4 ·
I'm not familiar with all the blade types you guys have over there. (I'm in Australia.) Firstly I would change your
blades,replacing them with your normal standard blades and then try it out.There maybe a problem with your left hand blade. Has the deck warped at all? What height are you cutting at? (in inches) Should that type of grass be cut at
that height at all?

Just a few things to consider. :)

Karl

#5 ·
Groundrules...I have been using Scags exclusively for the past 6 years. I use Scag blades and this year started running with double blades on each spindle. My machines stripe incredibly well, both with and without double blades. Maybe it is the quality of the lawns you are cutting? I have a few lawns that, no matter what, a stripe will not take. I have noticed an even more pronounced stripe with the use of my ProSlide sulky.

Do you have the blade spacers set evenly throughout? Do you have the caster spacers set evenly on each side? Is your deck mounted evenly (check holes)? Might check all of these too.

#6 ·
Southside and Scraper, Thank you both for your quick feedback.

I have checked both my blade spacers and caster spacers and both sides are set the same. I have not touched the deck mounting and it is set properly.

My lawns vary from irrigation and anual programs to nothing at all. Each seem to produce the same. I'll double check all my settings again today.

I think I'm going to try a different blade and see if this produces the results I'm looking for.

Appreciate your time.

#8 ·
Has it been a problem since you bought it? Did you buy this mower new? If you did, check with your dealer and have them fix it. If you purchased it used, I would get in contact with the former owner and see if that was a problem when he owned it. If it did, then thats probably the reason he sold it, and you might want to think about doing the same/selling it. My two cents worth.

#10 ·
Sounds like a bent blade. Take them all off and lay them on a flat suface next to each other. Or buy new blades(you"ll need them sooner or later anyway) and try cutting with them.

#11 ·
Thank you.

Both rear tires are inflated to 14 psi.

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended) on checking the spindles. I have not done this.

It has been a problem since I bought it. I purchased it used. About a year old. Dealer indicated previous owner sold it because the mowing biz was cutting into his main biz which is irrigation.

I sharpen/replace blades approximately every 4 to 5 cutting days. No large dings in them. The thing is I notice it even when I have replaced with new or sharpened blades. Please bear in mind that I am part time still and only have a eight regular mowing customers.

#15 ·
I really think it should! Is the bolt that "sticks" on the same side that you are having the problem? I had a similar problem a couple years back and actually just this week. :( My problem was the opposite of what you stated in that instead of cutting down it would leave the grass higher. Definitely give it a shot! The blade bolts are only $7 and having a spare isn't a bad idea.

Let us know if it works!!!

#18 ·
Yeah...I meant to mention what Runner said about the bent spindle. If the new one doesn't slide in then you got to look at the spindle and they are not cheap. I guess around $80-100, but don't quote me as I have not needed to purchase one of them yet. I do know they aren't as cheap as a blade bolt though.

Actually a quick test for the bolt is to try it in another spindle. If it's tough sliding it in there as well then I'd bet on the bolt and not the spindle. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.