Stubborn weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nriddle77, Jun 14, 2018 at 7:55 PM.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Two things I'm struggling to control this year: Virginia buttoned and wild violets. What's your go to herbicide for these two growing in TF? Are you getting good results from one application or is a 2nd one needed? Thanks for your help!

hort101 likes this.
  2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Button weed likes wet conditions and usually requires more then 1 shot.

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Violets make seeds without a regular flowerThumbs UpThumbs Up
    Just one of its persistent ways to reproduce

Here's a quote from the following link

Violets produce two different types of flowers: chasmogamous and cleistogamous. Chasmogamous flowers are borne on long stalks and range in color from light blue to deep purple. These flowers are the familiar, showy flowers normally associated with violets, however, in some species they are sterile and do not produce viable seed. The second type, cleistogamous flowers, do produce viable seed but are self-fertilized without opening

These flowers have no petals and are not showy. They are held underneath the foliage and sometimes slightly beneath the top layers of soil or mulch. Homeowners, who often wonder why their wild violet problem keeps getting worse when they never see any flowers producing seed, seldom notice cleistogamous flowers!

https://unlcms.unl.edu/ianr/extension/hort-update/DGV

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I went ballistic with my nis with 3 way and had very very good results for areas covered in it. A cheap 3way (vessel) Yes a little burn on desired grass so I'd be careful. But cleared 95+ percent of them out on first spray. It takes time. Couple weeks for complete dieback.

5. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Member

I added some triclopyr to a tenacity app and it killed it.

6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I have not tried tenacity. Good idea! Was it helpful with the violets or the VBW?

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Violets around here creep by long underground roots and rhizomes. In my tests, an ester like Speedzone seemed to have the most effect. I also suggest a triclopyr herbicide like Turflon or T-Zone. I noticed no improvement from surfactants.
    If needed, repeat spot sprays--in my opinion--are the best bet. If you do not want to exceed the years limit of 2,4-D. Rotate to non-2,4-D products like Lesco Eliminate, Quicksilver, Dismiss or Drive.
    Don't be afraid to to use a hori-hori or weed spud and cut off the big violets by hand. Don't let the big "mother-plants" send out roots to start 10 or 20 small daughter plants.

sjessen, nriddle77 and hort101 like this.
  8. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Member

Knocked the violets back big time. All the way to the edge of the property. They are coming from the neighboring property so they keep encroaching. They come under the fence. Nasty buggers.

I use a surfactant but Riggle does lots of tests so maybe you don't need it? I like to use a surfactant on things with big leaves like clover or ivy. Big meaning compared to a blade of grass.

9. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I used tenacity as a spot spray in areas I had seen it looming (violet). It got the job done...but I'd hit it with suulfentrazone for here on out.

I specifically was treating yellow nutsedge with dismiss and it also eradicated small violet and wild onion/garlic.

24D should yield control too; but with multiple apps.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Rotate products. Don't forget there is a small amount of dicamba in most 3-way products. Dicamba is absorbed by the roots. Helps kill violets. However, don't overuse it under trees. There is a risk of injuring the trees by root absorption. Spot spray is probably OK, if you do not overdo it.