1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Studying for Class 4 exam

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hotty Toddy, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Member

i take it December 10. Hunkering down studying until then.

DXN1EL likes this.
  2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck dude!...I'd give you some pointers if I could but I've had my license since 1998. I'm sure they've changed the test up since then. Lol

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  3. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Member

Thanks. AR does not require experience, but the application for a license is largely listing your hours of work experience in the field. We shall see...

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I'd be glad to tell you everything I know..........but you still wouldn't know nothin'

hort101 and Tara Ann like this.
  5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Though it's been awhile one thing I remember is that you have to convert lbs. of active ingredient to actual oz. of product.

hort101 likes this.
  6. lawnjox

lawnjox LawnSite Member
    Male, from Olive Branch, MS

I took that thing last year, I had to take the core before I took the cat 4 even thought I have a license in TN and AR. So do you have the certification I think class 6? The cat 4 test I took did not have 1 question about weeds, but was all about insects like mites, bill bugs and such, temp inversion, surfactants, systemic and contact pesticides and the math like ratios, lbs per acre, and I think modes of action on some pesticide! read the cat 4 material front to back and know it!

hort101 likes this.
  7. ted putnam

I have the Cat 4 (Turf weed control) and Cat 5( Insect & Disease for turf and Ornamentals). I took the Test for ROW 5 yrs ago and scored 95% but never followed through with the Cert. I took it in prep for getting a spray contract with one of the Natural Gas Pipeline companies but was not awarded the contract and haven't pursued/bid it since.
    My Cat 5 test was 4 essay questions worth 25 points each and filled up an 8x11 sheet of paper...I do remember that.

hort101 likes this.
  8. lawnjox

lawnjox LawnSite Member
    Male, from Olive Branch, MS

100 questions all multiply choice!

That would have been a good contract with never ending work on pipe lines!

hort101 likes this.
  9. ted putnam

Yes and No...
    It's up for bid each year and there's competition from plenty of companies that ROW is all they do. Knowing that, I included the cost of decent used truck/skid unit and new Z-spray Max in my bid. No way was I going to get stuck with payments on equipment that I didn't need at the time for other parts of my business. I trimmed all other parts of the bid to the bone but think I was still high. There was like 300 sites totaling 115 acres anywhere from 900 ft sq to 15 acres per site spread over 6 counties. That first year would be a logistical nightmare.

There would be potential but I could also have my throat slit the following year.
    The lawn/landscape spraying(which has always been my focus) has grown to the point that I just haven't gone after ROW

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    hort101 likes this.
  10. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Member

Example question: A foxtail is what type of weed?
    A. Summer annual
    B. Summer perennial
    C. Fall annual
    D. Fall perennial

There’s equipment calibration. Volume conversions etc. I had several about various insects. Turf types and pesticide labels. Ways people can be harmed by pesticide. Safety. PPE. Runoff and drift. Emergency/spill procedures. And what lawnjox said. I can’t remember everything but I perfectly remember that question for some reason. Hah