stump grinders

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by MowDaddy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

how many of you people use stump grinders and can you make money off them I'm thinking of buying one but not sure if renting would be better
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A good one is going to cost you a lot of money. The little cheap ones are not worth wasting time or money on.
    Plan on spending a minimum of $15,000 for a good dependable used one.
    If you only are doing this now and then, go rent when you need one. If you have the work to use it a couple of days/week, every week, then you might think about buying one.
    In stump grinding, horsepower is everything. I recommend nothing less than around 30 - 35HP minimum.
    FWIW: I have been in the stump grinding business fulltime and/or part time, for 10 years.

3. OP
    OP
    MowDaddy

I have about 30 stumps on different propertys. I looked at some of those small grinders just to have around for occasionall use? Ain't much to them. Renting may be the way to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Rent or sub it out.

5. Mowingman

from Texas

The small grinders will beat you to death. Go rent one when you need it. If you can build up the business, then go buy a used one to start out with.

6. OP
    OP
    MowDaddy

Ok. The rental shop wants $120. For 8 hrs . about how man stumps could I realistically do ? Average size would be about 10" mostly oak. Birch. And a few maple. Grinder is a fair sized Vermeer. Not sure on hp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Need to try this one it is a winner..HD rents them and they do the job.

Screenshot_2015-01-15-19-28-12.jpg

8. Mowingman

from Texas

That toro is a backbreaking piece of junk. That is what you call a "handlebar machine". All handlebar machines are backbreakers and will work you to death. They are not suitable for anything over 6" diameter. Even at that small stump size, you may need to go see a chiropractor when you finish.

9. OP
    OP
    MowDaddy

That's about the size I was looking at. I've never used one. So its all new to me. I just figure every stump I remove is one less I have to mow around and I could make some money removing them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The tree company that I worm for part time has a rayco stump grinder that's over 100hp. We can grind a 60" stump in less than 20 minutes. If you aren't a tree company I wouldn't see the good in buying one.