1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stump Grinding Pics

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Husky03, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I'm finally done. I can't feel my arms and my hands are bleeding, but it's over. 54 stumps stumps ground out. It took me around 6 hours solo. The grinder I rented for $175 was a piece of crap:hammerhead: The guy is putting in a basketball court here. Here is a before pic. You can't even see half of them.

2006_0603Image0002.JPG

2. Husky03

After the pain

2006_0603Image0005.JPG

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Tired arms? Bleeding hands? 6 Hours? I agree, you rented the wrong grinder! Hydraulics baby, hydraulics...no pushing or pulling and you dont even break a sweat, easy-peezy operation.

Looks good though.

4. Husky03

Yeah, the one I rented was not self propelled or anything and I bet it weighed at least 350 pounds. Not to mention the brake on the grinder broke after the second stump and I had to keep pulling the machine out of the hole I was digging. The hydro unit was $415 a day. That's an awful lot to take out on one customer. I don't get these kind of jobs enough to line them up and distribute that cost among several people.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I feel your pain. I rented a unit like that years ago. Never again. Funny, I only did 2 stumps with that beast too.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How is he going to put a basketball court in his backyard? I don't see a way with all the trees around! Maybe just a smaller court.

7. Husky03

I don't think it is going to be a full sized court. You can't really tell from the pics, but a court would fit like this \. Don't keep a black man from his basketball:laugh:

8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

it'll be nice and shady. looks like a good spot to me. should have gotten a dingo with stump grinder.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How far down did you grind them?

If he is having concrete poured he is going to need a good 12" or so excavated out, Those tiny stumps would have been easier to rip out with a larger mini ex, and you could have done the dig work for the concrete too.

Seems like a waste of money and time there.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If I had to venture a guess, I would say the teeth were dull. You really need your own stump grinder for this stuff, you can't resort to rentals on a machine that is as maintenance intensive as the stump grinder.
    That's just from watching my friend in the tree business, I never seen someone complain so much about stump grinder teeth but after I saw what he had to go through to ensure a fast, no-nonsense afternoon of grinding, I could see where he was coming from.
    The stump grinder is as maintenance intensive a machine as I have ever seen. Most everything else we do a lot of maintenance to, but you know as well as I do that you can let it go and it's awwwrite, not the stump grinder, it ain't awwwrite without.
    Of course, hydraulics... I never saw a stump grinder that didn't have hydros, guess that could be the other reason.