1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stump Grinding removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemmer, Apr 15, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

A customer had a stump grinded and they want grass. I told them that i have to dig it out. how deep could this go? its about 10x10 but i dont know how deep it could go? would i need 1 yd of soil to fill it?

Also whats the best way for removing ivy ground cover?

IMG_0167.jpg

2. GodsMan

GodsMan LawnSite Member

Stumps can grow very deep but I would just remove enough to put a good layer of topsoil and then place sod. I worked in Miss after Katrina and those grinders were not the least bit concerned with the mess they left behind.:usflag:

3. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Stumps are usually ground at least 12 inches below grade. Good luck getting all the debris out of the hole. It's like 50/50 dirt and wood and is a b!tch to dig or rake , hope you have a good pitch fork, when its fresh you wouldn't believe how heavy it is.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Take a pick and pick the grindings to loosen them up...Once you got most of the grindings out...rake the shake thats around the hole back into the hole...put at least 5-6" of quality top soil back in hole and pack it down as you fill so it won't settle. Leave your self about a 2" below grade finish, loosen top layer of top soil, place sod on top and tamp in to level. I do it this way time and time again. The key is to have enough top soil in the hole so the grass won't brown out when you have a week or so without rain.

For a small stump like in the photo....I usually fill up 5 or 6 7 gal tree containers with top soil. Then you only shovel top soil one time. Once the chips a removed....your practically done.