Stump grinding... ??

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by On a call, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Nji911

Nji911 LawnSite Member

About $5 an inch around here...

2. Mtrprts

Mtrprts LawnSite Member

I can tell you for sure, people charging 50-75 minimum won't be in business long. My grinder is 75k

On a call likes this.
  3. Tonset

Tonset LawnSite Senior Member

I use torpedo wedge, splitting maul, and axe on small ones. 30" TNT baby!

4. shifty98

shifty98 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Indiana

I feel way too expensive after reading this thread. I charge $120 minimum and basically $20 per inch of diameter.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Not too much if the check clears.

6. OP
    OP
    On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Compare it to digging out the stump :)

Tell the customer....do what you like and hand them a shovel

sjessen likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Just make sure you have a few extra ones :). In case you come up to a hard head .

8. shifty98

shifty98 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Indiana

That's what I tell my parents when they ask my prices. It's not too expensive if people can afford it and I keep getting calls.

9. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

That’s the ticket right there. I run a small toro and it can chew up a 28” wide stump in about 25 min. That was $70.00. Smaller say arborvitaes i bundle together. And bigge(4’ wide stumps) yep i said 4’ I’ll quote the job for 2-3 hours on the $70/hour scale.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have been in the lawn business for 13 years but have always focused on lawn health, seeding and aeration etc.

We got our first stump grinder (Toro STX26) just to see how much work we could get. We are growing our stump side pretty fast and wanted to see what units you guys recommend. We are wanting a larger unit but will keep our STX.

I would really like one on tracks and with a remote control. Looking at Carlton or Vermeer. What do you guys use and what do you like best?

Thanks