Stump grinding... ??

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by On a call, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I was in the stump grinding business for 15 years. I have owned or tried several brands. Carlton is in the stump grinder business an builds fantastic grinders. You can get them with tracks and remote control. All the other brands of stump grinders are "me too, wannabe machines". If you want a real grinder that will last forever, get a Carlton.

rcreech likes this.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thank you!

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Which unit did you use? I am looking at a SP5014TX.
    Just want to make sure it’s big enough and has enough power. We are not full tone stump guys so we won’t be using it every day.

4. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Rayco stump grinders are nice, how many stump jobs per week are you doing?

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

We just started offering this service so we are not hard at it yet. I would say we will only be using it a few days a week. But we wan to grow this side of our business so I don’t want to go too small. I already have a Toro stx26.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had two of the slightly older versions, the 4012. One had remote, one had lever control. Both were diesel and both were wheel machines. I had the 7015 track before that. Your choice of the 5014 is great, but might be more machine than you need right now. A good used 4012 might be great for part time use and a lot cheaper. However, prices on grinders have risen like crazy, so buy all you can afford now. Get a diesel version if at all possible.