Stump Grinding

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by LawnExperts, Jun 28, 2019.

1. LawnExperts

LawnExperts LawnSite Member

I hired a company to grind 2 stumps and we broke a pipe. Since the sprinkler heads were about 6 ft away, never crossed my mind a pipe was wrapped by the roots and buried only around 4 inches down.

I have 2 questions: Would I be liable to fix the pipe (any way I already fixed it but want your opinion) and anybody did any kind of agreement or contract for this kind of job to protect yourself from unforeseen situations like that?

Thanks

2. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

We had a guy in our area stump grinding he hit a gas line to one of the gas powered lamps and it blew up and killed him! Scary stuff the gas lamp was like 12 ft away. He probably never thought anything of it either. I always have miss utility come out and mark everything near the stumps I’m grinding just for that. Irrigation lines I repair them all the time it’s in my cost...

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    LawnExperts

LawnExperts LawnSite Member

The utility charges much to come and mark?

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I was in the stump grinding business for about 14 years. The utility locating service is free, all you have to do is call the number listed in the local phone book. Anything on the property unmarked is the responsibility of the homeowner, if you ask them first. I always asked if they had sprinkler lines or other buried utilities on their property. If they did, and did not mark them, it was not my problem.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I had a similar situation with stump grinder cutting an illegally installed gas line. Luckily no one was hurt. After that wecalled:
    http://call811.com/