• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Stupid.... Bad business?

6'7 330

LawnSite Bronze Member
The Presbyterian Church my mother and father were members of for thirty-six years, was in dire straights financially. As the old timers have died off ,the young and new in the church are not replacing them, to the point the church is in danger of closing.

This church meant a lot to my mother and father, so for 2005 we mowed the lawn, trimmed the bushes,layed a 1000 sf of sod ,all out of my pocket.So would you say this was not good business practice ,maybe stupid? Do you think it was a complete loss and waste of employee's ?

Ol'time Lawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
You did it for your mother and father and god, there will be a spot in-heaven for you and all off yours!!!.... maybe god will bless you and give you many lawns from people from the church!!! either way right it off!

Jpocket

LawnSite Silver Member
I would use that as a big tax write off. If it weren't my home church i would inflate the prices alittle too.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
I'VE done things that were bad business practice, or perhaps even stupid. Things like going in and cutting a 65 acre city park to take it back for the people of the community after the mayor was just letting it grow to weeds and brush.
Taking care of a church...ANY church, let alone one that your mother and father belong to is NOT a bad thing. Nothing bad can come from this. It will come back on you...you just wait and see. One day we will meet and discuss this.

Flex-Deck

LawnSite Silver Member
6'7 330 said:
The Presbyterian Church my mother and father were members of for thirty-six years, was in dire straights financially. As the old timers have died off ,the young and new in the church are not replacing them, to the point the church is in danger of closing.

This church meant a lot to my mother and father, so for 2005 we mowed the lawn, trimmed the bushes,layed a 1000 sf of sod ,all out of my pocket.So would you say this was not good business practice ,maybe stupid? Do you think it was a complete loss and waste of employee's ?
I have been mowing our church and 1 acre cemetary for 14 years now. I am in a position (have the equipment and time) to do that. I feel good about the whole deal. My church is important to me. There are a lot of people that volunteer in many ways to keep our parish alive, and I just try to do my part. Hope you enjoyed doing what you did, and I am sure you have the respect and gratitude from many of your fellow parishioners.

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
I think that it was really good. I wish that more people, especially younger ones, would do stuff like that more often. I did that for my wife and I church for 3 years. In the long run I actually got some business out of it from some members