stupid questions on pesticide tests

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I will make just one comment regarding "government" pesticide tests............
    No matter if you have "decades of actual experience in the field", it doesn't matter. Cuz these tests were put together by "textbook college snowflakes".

My comment = Very few of the questions apply to ANYTHING we deal with (and I've been in the industry since the 1970's).

Anybody else think this is liberal government bullsh$t?

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Our applicator tests are pretty straight forward and with a 50% failure rate I think they do a good job of weeding out the people who would give us a bad name.

For any licensing you need Laws and Safety. Basically, can you read a label and do basic arithmetic?

For your endorsements you are asked questions about identifying target pests and how the chemicals work.

Do you really have to be liberal to care if people who handle and apply poisons know wtf they are doing or why they are doing it?

I don't know. I live in Idaho though and we seem to care, not sure how we were influenced so easily.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

One of my guys just took his test about a month or so ago. He said out of 50 questions only 2 related to "relevant" topics regarding PPE, reading labels, etc. No questions on calibrations (of any type). He said he had several questions on pest ID.

4. Tidewater Greenworks

Tidewater Greenworks LawnSite Member

What were the other questions on? In VA the test was about 50% regulations & procedures, 20% weed/pest ID, 20% practical exercises (reading label, creating a proper dilution, etc) and 10% 'what to do if there's an accident' type questions. Pretty normal stuff, imo. The registered tech test is about 50/50 pass/fail. The commercial one is 80% fail, (according to the DoA rep) usually on the endorsements because few people here study fungus and weed ID and just do what everyone else has been doing for years. The golf course guys almost always pass.

When I did registered tech I'd been learning at my company for a few months and took the book home and read it for a week. Not sure how many I got wrong because the test ends as soon as you hit 76%. Seemed pretty easy to me. The commercial one I studied whenever I had an hour or two free while working for someone else. When I took the test I'd been doing this job for 8 years and there were a lot of questions on the test I'd never come across in the field. I passed but it made me realize I still had a lot to learn.

I've been in this industry 10 years now, 2 on my own and I don't feel like I'm "there" yet. I try to learn something new every day, and usually succeed. I still make mistakes; most of them due to blindly following what "everyone else has been doing for years". Be careful of that mentality. Things change every year. The weather is different every year. Regulations change, products are developed and restricted and banned, every year. Weed and disease pressures are different every year. You have to be learning constantly.

We have licensed "professionals" out there spraying Dicamba on their crops in 20mph winds and low humidity, putting whole classes of weed controls at risk for increased regulation. If anything the testing should be more stringent and perhaps more frequent.

hort101 likes this.
  5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry Larry, the current administration is determined to remove regulations on safety.

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Larry..we all know there is some degree of BS in all govt and regulations. The biggest degree left office a year ago

rbljack and Mark Oomkes like this.
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Really???
    Larry...Did you let your License lapse and have to retake the test?

IMO, We NEED those tests and regulations to keep the snowFLAKES out of this business

gcbailey likes this.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Some guys would rather just retake the exam than sit through a dry continuing ed presentation.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Here your forced to retake the exams every three years.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Well...That seems like a pretty foolish thing to do to me. My livelihood, hell, the livelihood of my employees and the well being of their families depends on me having/keeping my license current. My employees are "agents" under my Commercial Applicators License. Their cards don't mean squat without mine. It's beyond me how someone would chance something like that because they have to get a couple of CEU's at some meeting during the off season. Geez...the pinnacle of laziness if that's the case