Sub compact tractor for landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by woodlawnservice, Jan 24, 2020.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking into purchasing a small tractor for my landscaping installs.. backhoe is a must.. and one will not be considered without one.. I need a machine that's very small yet can lift the most with the front end... I've looked at john deere, kubota, Branson's, and mahindra. Pros and cons? The kubota lifting capacity is the weakest of them all...

I need the loader for moving sod around.. so the more capacity the better, also moving mulch and bulk materials.. soil, rock etc... the hoe for digging trees, transplanting, I'll buy a Harley rake for it etc... I need a machine with higher output in gpm

2. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a deere 1023e 3 years ago. I can stack the loader and 2 yards anything in my bri mar. It will pick up 700ish lbs with the d120. I know this because i rigged my snow plow with it. Bucket forks will pick 500lb generac generators all day long. Just purchased the frontier 48” blower for a big site snow job i got. Haven’t tried it out yet. Lastly it’ll fit a hoe no problem, i order directly from joe mutton and ship to a factory i service. The bucket is 52” and with it raised can get through most gates. As for ruining a lawn, i took down 3 70’ oaks that we’re creeping on the swing set and dropping branches. Needless to say there was lots of wood i had to move. In the pouring rain in October i didn’t even so much as rut the lawn. Just installed a diverter valve for a grapple bucket which should work great. Did a really nice sod job this past fall with it. Took me two days with 8 yards topsoil. The thing is versatile as me at a bi Bar. good luck!

2B4774AF-B892-4138-8AFB-C17990008BCA.jpeg

FABBA138-A635-45D8-8392-839404A7BA60.jpeg

4C778730-CD7E-4572-B216-70E8DACDF2FC.jpeg

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I run a Kubota BX24 . Not the most powerful but it does more than I ask The backhoe is nice and its great for the little jobs in tight areas . I also have a New Holland 1925 , a 35 hp tractor , its good f0r about 700lbs on the loader . No backhoe for this one . With the backhoe , make sure you get a subframe mounted how , not a 3 point mount . Spend the money upfront and get the aux hydraulics for rear and the one for the front from the dealer .

K c m, woodlawnservice and hort101 like this.
  4. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious but why do you want a tractor instead of a skid or mini skid?

Mark Stark likes this.
  5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

3 point attachment? Running front and back gear on same job without bringing other attachment?

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  6. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely look at a mini skid. I know you want a tractor but a mini skid can lift as much if not more than a small tractor they are dominating the market attachments are becoming cheaper as well.

LonestarLandscaping1 and K c m like this.
  7. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with @KUMA01 I run a dingo 1000 and I believe he runs the Vermeer 925. You really can't go wrong with this class of machine, ditch witch makes the 1050 which is comparable as well. It is strong enough for 99% of jobs I do and extremely versatile. I paid $30k for the machine, with forks and tooth bucket. Attachments are cheap. You can even get a weight kit that will increase lifting capacity, although I haven't found where to get one for my dingo yet...

K c m and KUMA01 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Skids are to big for most of my jobs... mini skid would be great but I need pretty much the biggest ones available on the market.. even a comparable one that can lift what the tractors will lift will cost me 30k... attachments are more expensive than the 3 pts for whatever reason...
    I use a mini ex alot.... so the backhoe would do most of my jobs.. I'm trying to find a one piece fits all and it just cant happen.. the perfect setup for me is a u17 mini x.. and a ditch witch 1550... that's 80k worth of equity vs a tractor that can prob do most of what I want for 20k.... renting when I need bigger or more specialized equipment

K c m likes this.
  9. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Get a B26 Kubota. The loader and backhoe is twice as strong as a comparable tractor. If you want bigger than that get a L45.

woodlawnservice likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

I was looking at those.. the cost is more than a tractor But they are setup to be a backhoe...size wise they may be a bit bigger as well.. not sure on overall width.