Subbing work to a 16 year old

Discussion in 'Employment' started by brichter14, Jan 9, 2019.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

A rain delay is alot different then a week long football camp. That's why I raised my questions. Your missing the point of what I'm trying to get across. It's will the sub be a good fit. We all know when you hire a sub your work is 2nd to their work. But since you have even less control over a sub then an employee would it not be just as wise to vet and check a sub the same if not more then an employee.

From what I remember from the contract law class I took back in college. A 16 year old is rarely able to be a party of a contract. So don't forget a subcontractor agreement is usually considered a contract.

2. OP
    OP
    brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a commercial account that I have serviced for 7 years. I have mowed this place at 10PM on multiple occasions because that was when I could get to it (I have a light bar on my mower). So if it doesnt work out with the kid, ill service it until I can find a replacement.

Doc8406 and Matthews Lawn Care like this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

If a 16 year old owns a biz, it’s a little different.

How is it any different to the customer? They don’t care what the excuse is. Maybe the excuse matters to the GC but I bet all the customer cares about is they got the service they needed and charged for.

4. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

What part don't you get what I said? These are questions one should ask before hiring said sub. That's it. I know if I hired a sub who was still I school I would have a great back up plan. Which from the OP's last post he does.

I think we can all agree a 16 year old business owner will be different then a 40 year old one. Both still need vetting but no matter what your going to watch the kid more then if it's a 40 year old guy. Usually the 40 year old will have already enough proof of professionalism where as the 16 will need to prove himself.

5. Matthews Lawn Care

I know a lot of GC’s and checking the workload of a sub to determine if they can handle it, is not one of the things on their list. These guys are turning millions. As a GC you vet them of course but asking if they have extra curicular activities is ridiculous and unprofessional.

If a sub doesn’t work out, ypu find another one. That’s how it works. The OP obviously knows how it works.

If you had read the entire post before replying then you’d probably understand the situation a little better. Existing client, OP getting out of the mowing, 16 year old with own equipment, etc. No need to be asking what sports he plays, what his weekends look like, etc. That’s not how the real world works. No GC that I know gives a crap what you do on your own time. All they care about are results. If a sub isn’t providing those results, find a new one.

You call a potential sub for a bid. You vet them, ask for references, etc. to determine if they can provide the level of service your customer expects for the price you want to pay. If the sub doesn’t have the time, they shouldn’t bid on it. If they F up the job, they are gonna get outed by every GC that is worth a darn, which will hinder the subs biz. If you think for a second that a 1 time issue with a sub is going to ruin a GC’s reputation you might want to take a course or 2. Now if there were several issues, then sure bit at that point the GC should have fired the sub and found a new one. It’s quite simple.

It’s not that I don’t get what you are saying cuz I do. Just think it’s ridiculous and unprofessional to be interrogating a sub when it comes to mowing.

6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I never said ask the sub these questions but to ask yourself these. If you think your millionaire GC friends don't consider if the sub can complete the work on time your probably wrong.

Is it not easier to vet a sub before you hire them then after. I have hired a few subs. Some even after vetting didn't work out the way I wanted. Some worked great.

If you still don't understand "You should ask yourself if the sub you want to hire will meet your needs". I can't be more clear outside of that. The questions I asked earlier are pointed more to this specific situation.

7. Matthews Lawn Care

Guess I totally mis interpreted your original message?

I’m glad you clarified yourself tho. These are not questions you’d ask a sub.

8. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Guess so.

It happens.
    Won't be the last time....

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.