• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Subdivision takeover...

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
I mow 3 lawns in a really nice area of town that is pretty much all older military vets and elderly. Would promoting a reduced price depending on how many lawns a get a good idea?

I was thinking something along the lines of $35 a cut...if I could get 10 neighbors to sign up.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Ya, add a friend/neighbor get 10% of the next cut type thing...

MILLC

LawnSite Member
Offer a one time discount to your current customers if they get someone to switch. Incentivize the ones already paying you. Plus flyers for the rest since they probably don't know everyone in the neighborhood.
This is what I did to expand into some neighborhoods I liked last year and it worked out really well. Just be clear with your language for stacking discounts as I ended up with one client getting 2 free mows all together -he ended up being the hoa pres:hammerhead:.

Feels good & makes sense giving a discount to folks who go out of their way to help promote my business.

Hvlc

LawnSite Member
If you really want to make an impression, signage goes a long way. I have election size signs on my high visibility properties

why give a deal to someone buried in a culesac?

I have done some free work in spring cleanup season (free aeration if they bought power raking) in exchange for signage on a high profile lot.

Many of these keep the signs up all year even though they do their own mowing. In the spring I have about 40 signs throughout the neighbourhood.

signs on private property rarely disappear, put them on public land (parks, boulevards, etc) and they’re gone.

Hvlc

LawnSite Member
Also, get to know your competition and be friends if you can. There’s lots of work to share

I’m “the guy” in my area

I have a buddy in another neighbourhood, he deals with sign stealing lowballing cut throats, crappy

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I wouldn’t go too low in case only 1 or 2 sign up and you’re stuck with the lower price you tried to get 10 at.

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you new to the subdivision? When you're out mowing in the same subdivision on the same day every-single-week, eventually EVERYONE that lives there notices. As other LCOs come-and-go and disolve into the abyss, you're still out there on your regular scheduled day every-single-week, you will be approached by neighbors wanting YOU! Not just wanting you, but demanding you. We get this often, so much so we have people on a waiting list.

I don't like giving discounts because the LCOs who give discounts are the same LCOs who have a short shelf life in this business. I see it all too often. If you are trying to speed up the process, put out yard signs and ask your loyal customers to recommend you and give you a shout-out on Nextdoor. But never undersell yourself, in fact, you might consider raising your prices to help offset the supply and demand.

Give it time, they will transition if you do premium work and prove to be superhumanly reliable. Also, always answer your phone. Biggest mistake guys make is not making the phone priority #1 above all else. Answer those phones as if your life depends on it. If you are too overwhelmed with work to answer your phone, your prices are too cheap.

andersman02

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't like the whole low price to get work. But a solid referral program is a good idea. One free mow for each neighbor you refer maybe. Cost you $40 to get a new customer. Pretty dang cheap