Success stories overseeding KBG into TTTF/PR

reggie517

LawnSite Member
So I know there are plenty of times KBG didn’t take in an overseed with TTTF/PR. Any one have success and what did you do.

I overseeded last year with hogans 80/20 Mix but thinking of doing full KBG this year and seed in August to give it a chance to germinate well before winter.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
I've attended a few Rutgers Seminars, and Dr James Murphy at Rutgers has commented a few times that it was difficult to establish TTTF into KBG, because the KBG was aggressive and would overtake and crowd out the TTTF.

I know this is the opposite of what you are saying, and can only think that since the KBG can take up to 25 days to germinate, that might be part of the problem. I would continue to keep cutting it low, while waiting for KBG germination, so there is enough sunlight to facilitate germination of the KBG.

OP
R

reggie517

LawnSite Member
I've attended a few Rutgers Seminars, and Dr James Murphy at Rutgers has commented a few times that it was difficult to establish TTTF into KBG, because the KBG was aggressive and would overtake and crowd out the TTTF.

I know this is the opposite of what you are saying, and can only think that since the KBG can take up to 25 days to germinate, that might be part of the problem. I would continue to keep cutting it low, while waiting for KBG germination, so there is enough sunlight to facilitate germination of the KBG.
Yeah I have heard the biggest issue is by the time KBG germinates the TTTF has grown too much and shadowed the seeds and taken nutrients. I am hoping a real low cut and some aggressive seeding rates will help.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
And feel free to keep cutting the fescue very low--until--you see the bluegrass up to about an inch tall.
Maybe 2 inches.
Agree--use plenty of seed. The germination may be about 50 percent when seeding on top of tall fescue.
Use a vigorous top-quality bluegrass.
Mazama or Bluebank for instance.

Top Forums