1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion - Forum Just for Bidding Jobs

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Grassholes, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I know it varies from location to location but I bet this topic alone would get enough attention to justify it's own category. 'How' you bid is really the important part. I think this would attract more new members too. I am new to this site and I love it by the way.

2. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

we will take it into consideration for sure...thanks for the suggestions

Rockchoplawn likes this.
  3. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will second this idea. I've never asked the question mainly because I don't want to seem like a rookie lol. Would be nice to get some feedback and I feel like lots would use.

Grassholes likes this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There's would need to be a "matrix" for searches
    Lawn cutting , mulch, patios
    All sub categories
    So you could go in an read more efficiently the specific pricing topic you were looking for.

Would cut down heavily on the incessant "how to price this job" threads when the same question was answered just a month before.

Grassholes and Rockchoplawn like this.
  5. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is lots of good stuff in the search. The most entertaining ones are the guys who want to start a business because the strata they are living in is accepting bids.

I've found best way for me has been taking a loss if necessary and getting better at pricing now that I know how long a lot of tasks take me.

If pricing a job I have little experience with I research a bit more and break down each little task and it seems to work well. Always make sure to add extra screw around time.

Most jobs go smooth but one I'm on now I'm getting delayed left and right, have to move 4 truckloads of soil by hand because I didn't plan the machine work properly. A lot of my first year has been learning experiences and a lot of stress, but still lots of money because I plan for things to go wrong.

Grassholes likes this.
  6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

No matter what forum you're on though, you're going to get the repeat questions that annoy the regulars. I moderated on a large national gun forum and it was a constant barrage of "What gun should I get?" posts. Here, it's "How do I bid?" and "What mower should I get?" posts. All this to say, this is not a problem specific to this forum; it happens no matter where you are and is pretty much unavoidable.

Mark Oomkes and Grassholes like this.
  7. Grassholes

Instead of teaching people 'what' to bid you teach them 'how' to bid. You would not even need to discuss price. Example: this is the cost of the mulch, you calculate the amount needed by doing this, you figure in the delivery cost and look at the distance you need to move it, the markup is this, etc.

8. Grassholes

We have all learned by making mistakes but that shouldn't have to be how you learn. I don't understand why it would ever be necessary to take a loss.

9. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Grassholes, JLSLLC, Mitty87 and 2 others like this.