SUGGESTIONS FOR COMMUNICATING ON THE NET

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill phagan, Jul 3, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

bill writes, &quot;5. Stick to the discussion. Enuff said?&quot;<p>Does this mean stick to the subject? Like the header says, Commercial Lawn Care, not How to Post on a Discussion Board. <p>People should spend half as much time responding to questions as they do telling others how to speak and write and spell.<p>Bill

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Quoted from Tom @ Pine island or something?<br>:::::Great post!<br>And while were at it,I would add...<p>-let them ask any question they want, any time without being educated about search procedures. You can search through the archives all day, and thats great, but many of those responses are from the regulars back three months ago or more. We have probably doubled in size since then, and if the questions are not re asked we will never hear the responses, or potential responses, of hundreds of new people.<p>Keep asking, and keep posting, and keep learning!!<p>This site is awesome!<p>----------<br>Tom<p><br>TOM, HATE TO SAY IT, BUT I THINK YOUR GIVING SOME BAD ADVICE IN YOUR POST. THE PURPOSE OF WASTING ALL THAT SPACE IS SO THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THE SAME QUESTIONS TIME AND TIME AGAIN. NOW, IF SOMEONE WANTS NEW OPINIONS ON IT, BRING THE OLD POST BACK UP FROM THE DEAD, AND AFTER THEY READ ALL THE OLD ANSWERS AND OPINIONS, THEY CAN NARROW THEIRS DOWN BEFORE THEY REPEAT IT. JUST 3 DAYS AGO I SAW 3 DIFFERENT TOPICS POP UP ON HIGH LIFT BLADES. ALL NEW!! WHY?? AND I'M SURE THE ADMINISTRATION AND MODERATOR SEE IT THE SAME WAY. (THEY PREECH IT EVERY TIME SOMEONE DOES IT!)<br>SO LETS TRY TO STARE THE NEW GUYS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!<p>Now, my 2 cents about the whole edicate thing. I think 75% comes here to learn and help others, and share info that I have, and the other 25% of me comes here to enjoy the &quot;circus&quot;. Like Charles said, why do you think people stopped using the &quot;other&quot; forum. It wasn't a gradual thing, traffic there just stopped. Theres been 2 posts in the past 2-3 months! It's because the moderator on the &quot;other&quot; forum started deleting posts, editing posts, telling people they can't say this or that. This is a place for us #1 TO LEARN and #2 to relax and UNWIND!! If people are bothered by a certain thing said, don't read it. They don't have to participate in a certain discussion. Its like people bashing Howard Stern or Imus or those guys. They listen because they want to! I'm sure nobody has them at gunpoint to listen to a certain station! If you don't like it change the channel!<p><br>I do agree we should try to be more proffesional, and the spelling sometimes annoys me too, but only when its hard to understand the post like Kirby said before. Well, hopefully this place won't turn into a sancturary because this is why the place is so great! <p>People give honest, uncensored information here, and thats why this place is so succesful. You can't find the real truth in any of those advertising magazines!! This is where its at. And the growing numbers prove it!!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

OK Dave-<p>I see your point. But if the questions never are asked again, or at least brought up to the top of the forum again, new opinions never are brought out, and the forum will also die. I see a new question, and bringing an old one to the front, as basically the same thing. No problem.<p>Many times I skip them too, have been for over a year now, but the new guys will appreciate it.<p><p>----------<br>Tom<br>

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I think the above six points are an excellent thing for all of us to strive for when posting. It really boils down to the GOLDEN RULE of do unto others as you would have done to yourself. <br>Obviously this is an open forum with 1121 (as of today) different personalities trying to express themselves. If people are upset sometimes they react without thinking. I think if we try to keep the six points in mind it would keep the forum working as it is designed. <br>Just think about how you would feel if you asked a question and someone called you an idiot instead of trying to help. If you think that is the correct way to relate to people then start your own forum.<br>

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Well Said AB!!! I agree the trash talk has to go!!! As my Grandfather once said &quot;I am a Mason for 40 years and I'm still learning!!!<br>Its like that in every aspect of life. I've been in landscaping 13 years and still try to learn as much as I can. Thats what this site is all about. Who cares who the scrubs are. Hey we all start from somewhere!!!<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

6. richard2

richard2 Banned

i kinda like rude answers to dumb questions...example- 'i started my lawn service and was wondering how often to sharpen my blades?' some posts earn rude replys! i say put up your dukes!

7. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Charles if something ain't broke then don't fix it!
    Or do you consider this preventive maintenance Grass Master?
    Grass Master states in above post quote: "Bill is right & most of us wan't it that way too", Well, last time I checked this is not Burger King! You say the majority rules, so have they ALL spoken? We have like what 1,600 + members and growing. Please excuse my negativity, but I don't see a current or future problem here at Lawn Site things seem to be running pretty smooth. Those that wish to act in a non gentleman or lady like manner will be known by there actions. I don't feel we need to be consatantly reminded or policed for the rules we all agreeded to upon joining. You will allways get the good with the bad, that's life. So instead of reminders why not try inforcing the rules for once, that alone should be a good enough reminder.

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Well.... This discussion was 3 months old until you reminded us about it. :)

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Stinger didn't. This post was at the top this a.m. with richard2 as the last to post with todays date, however the last post was richard2's 7/8/2000. Some glitch? Or did someone revive it with posting on it then deleting their post?

10. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I dont think there is a glitch... a member has only 30 minutes to edit a post before its set in stone.. so, that might have happened.