1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for new engine on TTHP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I have a 2000 TTHP with 17hp Kawi, that needs a new head, $350 to fix it. I have had to do work every few months latley because I run it so hard I think.
    Anyway Id like to put a new engine instead, the biggest that would fit, the 17hp is way under powered for me. The dealer acted like it was going to be a problem to get a bigger engine on there, and would have to check with his supplier on monday. He also seems to hate Kohler and wants me to stick with Kawi are maybe Honda. I thought as long as the shaft was the same size I would be OK?
    Any suggestions on what engine would be best on the mower?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Theres a lot more than shaft size you need to take into account.

I put a Honda engine on a Ditchwitch designed for a Onan last year, and learned a bit about custom swaps.

You'll have to make sure the new engine positions the pully in the same spot, This may mean fabricating a spacer, or custom belts. You also will have to worry about exhaust clearance, and make sure the new engine has the proper linkages for throttle and choke.

Personally, you won't get a new one on for under $1500 (a 20hp Honda for $999 was a bargain for me) or so, so I'd just go with the head repair.

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Check with Travis at Landscape Supply,just clic on Icon at top right of page!

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

You should be able to bolt on a 19hp Kaw no problems. I hear they have a recoil 19hp, if you don't already have electric start on the 17.