• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Suggestions on small walk behind.

AllAmericanlawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I am currently using cheap push mower that i have borrowed to begin my business and must give back. I need to find a 21" or slightly bigger push mower w/ a bagger. Possibly a self propelled model. Should i by one used for now or get a middle of the road push mower from a dept store or what? I only want to spend a couple of hundred dollars at most if buying new or less if used maybe????? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

mcwlandscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
if that's the case..... 21" home depot honda, ive got three 8, 6, and 2 seasons old, all run/cut like new :)

OP
A

AllAmericanlawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I was thinking about pawn shops, actually. Should i just try to find a bargain on a used push mower? cheap as i can get. Is the self propelled mowers worth the extra money.

Grits

LawnSite Silver Member
I found an almost new one at the transfer station. It fired up on the first pull. Looks like it might have been used a month or 2. You can't beat FREE!!!!

deere615

LawnSite Fanatic
if that's the case..... 21" home depot honda, ive got three 8, 6, and 2 seasons old, all run/cut like new :)
I agree I have 2 of the home depot models one new and one a year old. I have the highest model, not sure how good the harmony models are but might want to look in to them.

Lawnut101

LawnSite Silver Member
look at garage sales for a lawn boy with a 2 stroke engine. Otherwise, Hondas or Toros are pretty good. If your going with a toro, get a super recycler. It should last you a while.

IA_James

LawnSite Silver Member
Is the self propelled mowers worth the extra money.

That's your decision, not ours. It depends on how good a shape you're in, how big an area you're mowing, and if you're willing to have more parts to (potentially) break. That, and how hard you're willing to work on a hot day.