• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Sulky capable or not?

TaylorLawn

LawnSite Member
I have always had the larger ZTR's, and when confronted with smaller gated backyards etc. I would use a 38 inch JD rider. I decided to buy a 36 inch W/B which would also help with ditches etc, and the local dealer had a 2003 belt drive SCAG with a 12.5 Kohler, at a reasonable price so I picked it up. I was wondering if a sulky would put a more than reasonable stress on this particular engine pulling the added weight, or if anyone has used one on a similar smaller size engine with no problems...Thanks, Eric

PS I weigh 180lbs.

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
I use a 48 inch scag and a 15 hp kohler and i am heavier than you are and no problems, I use a one wheel velke

jajwrigh

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have an exmark metro 12.5 kaw and my dealer recommended me not to use a sulky because of the smaller tires and engine. Remember your weight is also going to add strain to the axles and belts too. From what I have been told 15hp and above is sulky or velke territory.

specialtylc

LawnSite Bronze Member
Try a two wheel Velke and will probably work just fine. You may have to add about 20 lbs. to front to keep it down. Dont even try one of those like the Bull rider , it wont work on that small a machine . And if it doesnt work for you your dealer should take it back.

OP
T

TaylorLawn

LawnSite Member
Thanks......Why do you think a two wheel version? I would assume an more even weight distribution??? When I picked it up It was not intended to handle the larger properties, but it might come in handy when my son is out of school, a third mower would help............and I have to keep in mind what jajwrigh said above.

specialtylc

LawnSite Bronze Member
The two wheel type pull much easier because they dont sink into the ground as bad . Especially wet soils. We used a one and a two wheel on a 14 hp 36WB. Pulled it just fine although it was a hydro. The sulkies that have the caster wheels where the platform stays directly behind the mower are harder to turn on the smaller weight mowers.

65hoss

LawnSite Fanatic
eXmark and all mfg's agree a sulky behind a 36" belt is ok. I've had one behind mine for years and it still has the same belts. The heaviest guy was 280 lbs and he didn't hurt anything.

impactlandscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
Originally posted by 65hoss
eXmark and all mfg's agree a sulky behind a 36" belt is ok. I've had one behind mine for years and it still has the same belts. The heaviest guy was 280 lbs and he didn't hurt anything.
We use them on our 36"ers, our weights range from 200-250lbs, AND we have lots of inclines to mow here in WV!! No problems as of yet four years and going......