1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

sulky for aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmmllc, Mar 15, 2008.

1. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

here is a picture of an experimental sulky I made. Works well once you get used to it. I've never ridden a sulky, so there is a learning curve. I can fold it up out of the way when not in use. What do you think? Am I crazy or is it a good idea?

IMAGE_170.jpg

IMAGE_169.jpg

2. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I guess no one wants to hurt my feelings... So it doesn't look like much, but it works. I'll have to paint it still. It can turn a 180 on cement, not quite so sharp with the tines down. Wish I had a set of tines like the bluebirds that the outside tines free-wheel- that would allow tighter corners without ripping up the grass. If I keep it to 90 degree turns it doesn't rip it up. Should help on the larger lawns and I can fold it for the smaller ones.
    PS- that's hail on the ground- crazy march weather- we had an inch of snow this morning and it melted off, then tried again. Can't wait for nice weather.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

work smarter not harder nice job

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Good idea. I think I will try it. I could just make another bracket for one of the Jungle Wheels that I have. I think I'll give it a try.

5. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

it helps that it is a Billygoat- since it has the caster wheels on the back. I don't know how you would do it on other machines, but I'm sure there's a way. It's kind of fun to ride- that always helps things go by faster.

6. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

nice to see some like minded fellows out there. i tried the same thing with my bluebird 742. I used a velke and custom fabbed a bracket for it. worked so/so on the straitaways however ended up putting quite a strain on the lower back as well as the honda and especially the gear reduction unit. I quit using it in fear i would blow the gear reduction mid aeration season. I am currently looking at mating my scag hydro walk behind and a 3 point 36" ryan aerator.

7. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like it works pretty good thats what counts right?