• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Sulky speed??

RYAN

LawnSite Member
I was just wondering how fast all of you sulky users go when mowing a lawn. I usually go as fast as possible which is fifth gear on my exmark metro ( about 6 m.p.h.) unless the grass is super long or wet then I slow down some. I saw a guy today mowing my apartment complex on a 48" hydro lesco with a sulky and he was mowing at turtle speed. I could have easily walked faster. Was he just lazy, trying to get a better cut, or stuck with a slow mower? How fast do all of you go??

Esby

LawnSite Senior Member
Well i own a 48" Exmark Metro HP. Usaully running it in about 3rd gear, this speed seems to give me the best cut. Sometimes i run in 4th, but never in 5th, it just doesn't cut as nice. I want to please my costomers with a clean cut so i use the fastest speed that makes that possible

Stinger

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with Esby, third on my Toro gear drive units gives the best cut on lawns maintained weekly.

Scraper

LawnSite Bronze Member
LGG: What lind of finish cut do you get running your 52" at full speed? I have a 52" Scag Hydro as well and I can't get a "smooth" finish going that fast. I'm runnng at probably 1/2 to 3/4 with a sulky. Tips?

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
When you start powersliding on turns, you MIGHT be going a little too fast.