Sulky, velky or proslide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dg37615, Jul 11, 2009.

1. dg37615

dg37615 LawnSite Member

I have been using a one wheel velky. Curious about the two wheel sulkies... Are they any better or easier for manuverability? Also curious about a proslide. Pros / Cons. Thanks.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

I was weighing the pros and cons of each when we bought our Scag ProV. You have to consider the control types on your mower. a velky that articulates (can turn independently from the mower) would not have worked well on the ProV. We needed something that mounted rigidly to the mower and had caster wheels, so you maintain a constant position behind the mower. this is b/c of the v bar control system on the ProV. The proslide wouldnt work for us well b/c we mow several commercial lots where we would traverse over parking lot etc... and would have to walk behind the mower. Our ProV can do 8mph and so this would cut down on productivity. You have to consider your circumstances of where you mow and what type of mower you have.

with the caster wheel type sulky's you lose a bit of maneuverability but you gain more stability b/c your not always dancing around like the ones that hinge behind the mower.

3. dg37615

dg37615 LawnSite Member

I run a Scag SWZ W/B (pistol grips) on basic residentail yards around .5 to 1 acre with obstacles and some hills. Stability and turning are my concerns. Kinda tired of the velky shuffle I guess...

4. dg37615

dg37615 LawnSite Member

bump......

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

Jungle jims for me. Only thing is I have a 36inch mower, so when I make a zero turn the jungle jim makes a turn as if it was a 48inch mower Like always the trailer makes a wider turn then the truck.

6. Lex Lawn

Lex Lawn LawnSite Member

Toro Tru-Trac

7. C.Meece

C.Meece LawnSite Member
    from KY

I am a fan of the proslide but I dont use a wb for everything. I mainly mow with a ztr but i love the fact that the proslide retracts on its own and maks some awsome stripes. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Bumpmaster likes this.
  8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 2 wheel Velke and replaced it with a Proslide. Much more comfy to ride than a Velke. It folds up by itself. You cant run it on anything but grass or the skid surface will wear out fast. Its the best bandaid available to make life a little easier with a WB.

9. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

With your equipment set up and the properties that you mow it sounds like a ProSlide would work well for you. Like someone else said, they make some really nice stripes, if you are into stripes.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest a proslide. Since they retract by themselves, you don't ever have to worry about taking it on and off. This is especially good when you have to get into tight spots on properties where manuverability is essential. Just step off the platform and it retracts, allowing you to walk behind the mower to get into the tight spots, then when your done just step back on the platform and continue mowing the rest of the property.