Sulky, velky or proslide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dg37615, Jul 11, 2009.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the one wheel velkie but hate the single line in my stripes. so it's on my 36 mainly for gated back yards. I have two sulkies for Exmark 48" metro and Jd whp48A they work great but if it gets on an angle with the hydros it can be a pain in the neck. For striping purposes I bought some Rigid metallic conduit and bolted it onto the back of the sulkies. enhances the stripe in my opinion.

barclay berberian likes this.
  2. barclay berberian

barclay berberian LawnSite Member

Wow...thia is an old thread! I am running a snapper pro sw25 36 inch walk behind as my only mower. It was brand new this year. I have about 40 or so regular mows while picking up more this off season. Is a proslide the best option still? Or did something else come out that is a better option. Thought about selling and getting an exmark or something that I can walk behind or stand on but the economics just don't work out. Thank you all in advance!

3. salvagedrover

salvagedrover LawnSite Member

As I mentioned back in 2016, the proslide beats them all. There is a video on YouTube to watch, just go to YouTube and type in proslide, it’s less than 3 mins long but it was put up years ago when proslide belonged to Novae. Hands down, no contest, ALSO, the wear plates are cheap, so even if you had to ride across a long parking lot, you could stay on the proslide and ride at full speed to the next section. I remember them only costing $40-50 or so, and they’d last at least a year with HARD, DAILY abuse. Worth every penny.

4. barclay berberian

I think the plate is 70 now. Still a good deal if it lasts a season or two .Thanks for the reply. Just didn't know if there had been a newer/better option for converting a walk behind to a sort of stand on.

5. salvagedrover

What would you consider better than the proslide? No more bumps, no more jackknifes, no flats, no grease, no tire marks, IMPROVES striping by its own design, keeps you directly behind the controls at all times, completely removes from the machine with one clip, folds itself out of the way by just stepping off and unfolds by just stepping into it. What else would you need to buy one? Lol :)

6. barclay berberian

It could mow for me and do my invoicing also! J/K! You don't happen to work for the company do you? Just want to make sure the info is unbiased. Thanks!

7. salvagedrover

Back in 2003-2004, I worked for a repair shop that was set up primarily to service the equipment of the landscaping company of the shop’s brother. They had maybe 3 dozen turf tracers and trimstars and they ALL had a proslide on them. I never saw them before and when I actually got to USE one, and then work on them, I was completely sold. Even if I worked for the company though, it shouldn’t sway your opinion, you should thoroughly inspect ANY machine or tool before you buy it and read reviews, as well as visually picture in your head how it would work in the capacity you’re going to use it in. But in the end, I don’t even mow anymore, and I STILL have three sitting in my garage and I’ll never get rid of them!

8. barclay berberian

I ordered one. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the insight!

9. salvagedrover

We’re you able to find a classic or did you buy the XT version? The XT has larger springs, gas struts with upgraded connectors, and a larger wear plate with more pronounced beveled edges. Where did you buy it and what did you end up paying just out of curiosity?

10. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Least expensive price i have seen for the XT is on evilbay