1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Sulky vs. Stand on Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottish lscape1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. scottish lscape1

scottish lscape1 LawnSite Member

Looking to add a new mower to the crew a 48". Should I go with a hydro WB w/sulky or a Stand on. If Stand on what brand? JD, wright, everride.

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer a stander...I have a Wright...as far as brands...test them all and see which one you like.

3. scottish lscape1

I'm most likely going to demo a Wright & Everride. Does a stand on really live up to all the hype!? IE. Hills, works just like a wb,etc. & is the quality of cut as good as a wb.

4. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is better on hills that a wb I think and the cut is great, no complaints I love it...

5. mowers1

mowers1 LawnSite Member

WE HAVE BEEN USING THE GREAT DANES AND HAVE HAD GREAT LUCK - WE CUT HILLS WITH THE STAND ON UNITS THAT USED TO MAKE THE GUYS TIRED WHEN THEY HAD TO WALK THEM, A GOOD STAND ON WITH TIRE PRESSURE SET AT 14PSI WILL CLIMB AND HOLD MOST HILLS - YOU WILL STILL NEED A SMALL WALK FOR THE CRAZY STEEP STUFF BUT 90% OF OUR HILL CLIMBING IS DONE WITH OUR 52" DANES - SIDE NOTE - WE TRIED OUT THE NEW SUFER FIXED DACK UNIT LAST FALL AND IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FLOATING DECK DANES OR THE WRIGHTS I HAVE USED - AND YES THEY ARE AVAILABLE IN THE EVERIDE AND THE GRAVELY COLORS SINCE ACI BOUGHT DANE FROM JOHN DEERE A FEW YEARS AGO.

6. scottish lscape1

Thanks for the in-put guys.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK... I wanna see where this thread goes :p

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you have a lot of steep hills, I'd get some type of stand on. I tried a Stander last year, that is a sweet set-up. The advantage w/ a WB is that you can get off and walk on a steep incline.