Summer price or per lawn?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JesseMoreira06, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 LawnSite Member

What is better to charge a client per lawn mow or to charge a fixed price per year?

Obviously other services should be charged per visit given that it isnt a weekly service.

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer per cut, keep it simple. Crispy 20's in an envelope :nono:

3. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

Both have their pros and cons. I do the per time pricing it usually works well expecially if a season is longer, more cuts. Like wise in a drought the other method per season is better. My opinion is the per time that way a customer pays for what you do. Like wise tension can result from season rate if mowing not needed due to conditions.

JesseMoreira06 likes this.
  4. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I charge them there weekly mowing price if any extra I add it on to that week and I bill at the end of every month much easier for us and they only have to write one check at end of month works well for me. I have had couple people weren't paying on time so I made them pre pay for each month. But I have been really blessed with good people so I don't have to deal with that very often at all

hort101 likes this.
  5. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

I have 7 commercials that pay for the whole season upfront. As for homeowners I’ve gotten most of them on a monthly billing where I run their cards on the 1st of every month. Except maybe 8-10 who leave my money under the doormat.

bolc5150, hort101 and JesseMoreira06 like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If you’re going to charge “yearly” why not add up all the services that take place and add up everything and divide by the number of months you’re working in the season?

You don’t have to limit it to only weekly services

I don’t link including things like mulching in the monthly price because it’s a large number, it happens once and it takes you all season to get paid.

But fall clean up, spring clean up
    Pruning ‘, weeding etc
    You can total all that in with mowing

JesseMoreira06, Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

Some people pay me monthly others pay weekly. I just leave it up to them whatever they want to do.

8. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Most of mine are pay per visit whether it's online payment or a check under the mat. I have a few monthly's and one season long plan. You do what works best for the customer if you can. I like the year long thing and wish all my people did it but I like the per visit paying as well because they don't get spooked by the total cost. Get an idea of what they want. If they're serious about it you can suggest what you would prefer but give them the option so they don't get spooked. Obviously this can all change the longer you are out there and the more stable your business gets.

9. bolc5150

bolc5150 LawnSite Member

Monthly....guaranteed money every month. When we do mulching or seeding it's added to the month that the job is done. Works well for us.