• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Sun Canopy on ZTR

JLH52

LawnSite Member
Anyone using a sun canopy on commercial ZTR? I've been considering a canopy. I only mow 10 acres of my own property with no overhead obstacles.

I can see where it would not ne practical for commercial operator.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
In your situation sounds like a great idea. Don’t make it out of too heavy a material though, you can feel the top heaviness if you do

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
A light material canopy made from fabric etc would be alright, but don't use one made from anything heaver unless you make sure the ROPs is rated for it or you'll run the risk of fatiguing the ROPs. Several years ago JD sent out notices to CUT owners about that and would replace the ROPs for free with a heavier version made for supporting a fiberglass etc canopy if you brought it in to your dealer. The original ROPs was more than enough for roll over protection, but having a heavy canopy hanging out in front of it while bouncing around as you operated the machine would cause stress to the steep of the ROPs that could lead to it failing in a roll over.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’ve got a piece of aluminum diamond plate on mine. I didn’t put it there the original owner did but it makes mowing a lot more comfortable.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Member
I have been looking at the canopies made by SunGuard (mower and Tractor Canopies). On their sight are videos of how the canopies are made, installed, colors available, etc. There are many companies offering canopies for mowers. Bad Boy offers a canopy for their mowers from the factory.

93045E19-794D-4A43-9C34-D37FDAE73414.png

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes, I know there are lots of companies making them for this use, but they aren't necessarily going to stand behind your machine if something goes wrong either. All I was saying is make sure the company that made your mower says it's OK to install a canopy on the ROPs on your machine. Most of the lightweight canopies will never be an issue, but some of the nicer, heavier duty canopies like those made by Curtis for CUT's and mowers are fairly heavy. I know, I had one.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Member
Yes, I know there are lots of companies making them for this use, but they aren't necessarily going to stand behind your machine if something goes wrong either. All I was saying is make sure the company that made your mower says it's OK to install a canopy on the ROPs on your machine. Most of the lightweight canopies will never be an issue, but some of the nicer, heavier duty canopies like those made by Curtis for CUT's and mowers are fairly heavy. I know, I had one.
Did you like or dislike the canopy? Did you have it on a tractor or ZTR?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I had mine on a tractor. It came with it when I bought it, and yes, I liked it as Curtis makes nice canopies, but it was just too heavy hanging out from the ROPS and made the hinges where the ROPS folds rattle all the time. I sold it last year to a farmer that wanted it for one of his utility tractors. I had made light brackets and mounted them to the tubing in the canopy and just left them on it for the guy. You could have hung speakers from them as well.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
The ROPS on my Grasshopper is fixed mounted not folding. I wouldn’t want a fiberglass canopy. They take too much abuse. My mower is aluminum and my backhoe is plastic. They both hit plenty of limbs.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Member
The ROPS on my Grasshopper is fixed mounted not folding. I wouldn’t want a fiberglass canopy. They take too much abuse. My mower is aluminum and my backhoe is plastic. They both hit plenty of limbs.
I have no limbs or other overhead obstacles, therefore do you still see a problem with fiberglass?