Lawn Care Forum banner
161 - 180 of 299 Posts
Just to give some idea, keeping in mind that its not summer/full growth etc, this first pic shows pretty much the only clumps I got on this place and was mowed at high rate of speed.
Second pic, there were a few clumps there but I cant see them to point out. They weren't worth taking a photo of in the scheme of things. This place is what I use as the bench mark for everything. If it cuts well here, it will cut well anywhere.
But like I said, its not summer so didnt have the moisture or length to give the baffle a true hard test.
These were done with the baffle V1, rounded, square off the deck.
If it fines up I'll do some mowing with V2 tomorrow so will take a few pics, maybe a vid of that.

Plant Property Cloud Sky Green

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Natural landscape

I will say, the Ferris 3100 gave an excellent cut in my type grasses and weeds, but as we all know, it is a must people demo on their properties to really find out how a mower performs. I'm pretty sure you will be pleased with the cut, and I know for a fact the ride will be second to none on your rutted properties. Please come back when you demo and tell us what you think.
Yes I will definately post any insight I have after a demo of the Ferris! The biggest thing I need to see is how well the deck cuts over undulated ground & slopes, regarding the way the deck moves with suspension. Ill be over the moon if it does a great job with out noticable scalping or uneven cut results. With the cut quality over level ground/clipping dispersal, thats something Id like to see, but Im confident those results will be great!

I dont beleive that any other ZTR can give a better ride than a Ferris, even without demo its just plain logic, as you know. But I will be very keen to compare it to the Gravely air ride/rubber iso. Gravely are so far the only manu good enough to give me a demo on my own yard. Ferris gave me a quick go on an is2500, but only on their small area at shop. I found a council using an is2500 which was giving a bad result on slope (terracing), if the 3100 gives that same result I wont be able to use it. Scag wont allow a demo of cheetah full stop. As far as theyr concerned here in aus, if I want it, buy it, if not they dont care. Which makes me mad! My only option is to find a contractor or homeowner who owns one & see whether theyre kind enough to allow a demo of their personal mower, taking their personal mower to one of my properties well thats really stretching whats possible. The same thing applies to Ferris, apart from the small demo I had with them.

Here are a few small pics of the slopes/uneven ground. Could only find 1 pic of un-even ground as ive never set out to take pics, but there are quite a few examples of this stuff on various props I cut. - Hope the OP doesnt mind me putting this stuff in here.

Plant Property Sky Tree Shade

Plant Water Tree Road surface Land lot

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Vegetation

Plant Property Sky Tree Shade

Plant Water Tree Road surface Land lot

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Vegetation

Thanks mate, is why I say we're headed in the right direction. Still work to do but Im very confident we'll get it sorted!
Next summer will be the true test in all this though but it will be great to have something to work with.
Yea looking good, but I know exactly what you mean real testing can only be done in the right conditions. Once you are confident you have things on track, maybe there will be a park somewhere with some good growth on it due to a lazy council worker :)

Good to know you have hustler supporting you!

Yes I will definately post any insight I have after a demo of the Ferris! The biggest thing I need to see is how well the deck cuts over undulated ground & slopes, regarding the way the deck moves with suspension. Ill be over the moon if it does a great job with out noticable scalping or uneven cut results. With the cut quality over level ground/clipping dispersal, thats something Id like to see, but Im confident those results will be great!

I dont beleive that any other ZTR can give a better ride than a Ferris, even without demo its just plain logic, as you know. But I will be very keen to compare it to the Gravely air ride/rubber iso. Gravely are so far the only manu good enough to give me a demo on my own yard. Ferris gave me a quick go on an is2500, but only on their small area at shop. I found a council using an is2500 which was giving a bad result on slope (terracing), if the 3100 gives that same result I wont be able to use it. Scag wont allow a demo of cheetah full stop. As far as theyr concerned here in aus, if I want it, buy it, if not they dont care. Which makes me mad! My only option is to find a contractor or homeowner who owns one & see whether theyre kind enough to allow a demo of their personal mower, taking their personal mower to one of my properties well thats really stretching whats possible. The same thing applies to Ferris, apart from the small demo I had with them.

Here are a few small pics of the slopes/uneven ground. Could only find 1 pic of un-even ground as ive never set out to take pics, but there are quite a few examples of this stuff on various props I cut. - Hope the OP doesnt mind me putting this stuff in here.

View attachment 272809

View attachment 272810

View attachment 272811
Cant wait for you to try the Gravely. It really speaks for it self. The seat can adjusted from 0 to about 6" of travel. I use this to my advatage on hills and slopes. The rubber iso's and no flats are a huge bonus as well and they all work together. It has a totally different feel than a Ferris in a good way. You will not feel any vibration which I never knew I was feeling before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cant wait for you to try the Gravely. It really speaks for it self. The seat can adjusted from 0 to about 6" of travel. I use this to my advatage on hills and slopes. The rubber iso's and no flats are a huge bonus as well and they all work together. It has a totally different feel than a Ferris in a good way. You will not feel any vibration which I never knew I was feeling before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea I cant wait myself, I'm sure that the cut quality will be fine with gravely so its one less thing to worry about. I just know a mechanical seat is of no benefit to my rough stuff, but an air seat sounds like a good compromise & im interested to see what no vibration will be like. At this point I dont know Im feeling it, as you suggest.

Hey I cant remember if youve mentioned before, but have you had a demo of a cheetah?

Yea I cant wait myself, I'm sure that the cut quality will be fine with gravely so its one less thing to worry about. I just know a mechanical seat is of no benefit to my rough stuff, but an air seat sounds like a good compromise & im interested to see what no vibration will be like. At this point I dont know Im feeling it, as you suggest.

Hey I cant remember if youve mentioned before, but have you had a demo of a cheetah?
No because when I was buying only the 60" was available and my 6x12 enclosed trailer can only fit a 52". I have looked at a Cheetah extensively though and the whole operator platform is suspended with a huge coil over shock. I need to demo one and write a review.
Posted via Mobile Device

No because when I was buying only the 60" was available and my 6x12 enclosed trailer can only fit a 52". I have looked at a Cheetah extensively though and the whole operator platform is suspended with a huge coil over shock. I need to demo one and write a review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes you certainly do! Youd be perfect for this... good at reviews & you know what the air ride is like. Hi Scag :waving:

So today I saw something very rare here. A landscaper using two Hustler Super Z's with the VX4 60" decks and Hyper Drive. I normally would never do this but I stopped and talked to him for about 15 minutes. He was a crew leader with two guys under him for a large LCO. He was nice enough to let me take a look at his machine and take some pics.

I just want to say this is not one of my detailed reviews and I did NOT try the machine and do NOT know how it was set up. So this is an observation write up only and is just my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt because there is just to many unknowns and I want this to be fair. I like to try machines for at least 2 weeks(50 or so mowing hours)before I make serious comments.

So I asked the crew leader what he thought and the first thing he said was the Super Z was the easiest machine he has ever operated. In fact one of his guys had just started and on day two was very efficient with the machine. I also asked about cut quality and he said its alright in thin grass, dry conditions and not good in thick grass or wet conditions. He gave me no other details but let me take cut quality pics.

As far as my observations of the machine itself I was pretty impressed. The fit and finish was excellent. The build quality and design was amazing and clean. At this point I would say this machine is built better than it has to be and is what I consider Industrial grade, a step up from commercial grade. Its on par with the Gravely 400 series and Kubota ZTR's. I did not get to look under the deck at the bracing. The machines were very fast and nimble. I could here the hydros working and the engine tone changed when turning. It looked very smooth.

Now as for the cut quality I'm really at a loss for words. I will let the pics speak for themselves. The grass was kinda wet as it rained yesterday and last night. They were taking off maybe 3 inches of grass. The discharge appeared to fan very well but I could see large pieces of grass randomly discharging. Enjoy...

Vehicle Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tire

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Plant

Plant Green Tree Land lot Grass

Plant Green Leaf Building Street light

Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green

161 - 180 of 299 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.