Supervisor aka customer?

BTLawncare

LawnSite Member
I have a drainage project coming up and after many back and forth emails and phone conversations we have agreed on the price and the process. My question is, is there a polite or proper way to ask the customer to trust in me and to not interfere with the process as I work on completing the project?

I understand the customer may just be doing his due diligence by checking that I will be doing the install properly and using the proper material, but my gut tells me he may try to supervise the whole process while it is in progress. I do not mind his involvement or working together with him, but my impression is he will monitor every minute and hinder the process. Thank you for any response.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a drainage project coming up and after many back and forth emails and phone conversations we have agreed on the price and the process. My question is, is there a polite or proper way to ask the customer to trust in me and to not interfere with the process as I work on completing the project?

I understand the customer may just be doing his due diligence by checking that I will be doing the install properly and using the proper material, but my gut tells me he may try to supervise the whole process while it is in progress. I do not mind his involvement or working together with him, but my impression is he will monitor every minute and hinder the process. Thank you for any response.
If he starts trying to micro manage just let him know you bid the job based on a certain amount of hours. If he insists on hindering your progress, you will have to charge for the extra time involved due to him slowing you down.

OP
B

BTLawncare

LawnSite Member
If he starts trying to micro manage just let him know you bid the job based on a certain amount of hours. If he insists on hindering your progress, you will have to charge for the extra time involved due to him slowing you down.
So maybe not say anything unless he starts to micro manage? I wasn't sure if I should say something before hand in a round about way or have something in the contract to that subject. That way it doesn't seem like it was directed towards him personally. Thank you for the reply

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
So maybe not say anything unless he starts to micro manage? I wasn't sure if I should say something before hand in a round about way or have something in the contract to that subject. That way it doesn't seem like it was directed towards him personally. Thank you for the reply
Nah, just wait until he starts micro managing. Sometimes customers, especially on big $ jobs, will ask a million questions cuz they have been burned before. I always lay out how I’m going to go about their project and update them on the progress as we go along. On big jobs where your going to be there for several days, giving update at the end of the day is a great way to keep them from bothering you during the work day. Good luck!

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic

My policy
This is your price
If you watch it cost double
If you help it costs triple

I didn’t make that up, can’t recall where I stole it from, but it’s been around forever and a day.

OP
B

BTLawncare

LawnSite Member
Nah, just wait until he starts micro managing. Sometimes customers, especially on big $ jobs, will ask a million questions cuz they have been burned before. I always lay out how I’m going to go about their project and update them on the progress as we go along. On big jobs where your going to be there for several days, giving update at the end of the day is a great way to keep them from bothering you during the work day. Good luck!
Thank you. Sounds like good advice.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
There's always a line, but you can't expect people to never take an interest in a job being done on their place.

Contractors of all sorts cut corners no matter the reputation. Case and point, new HVAC put in, they told me they were running a new Tstat line to the furnace to hardwire it because the old was stapled in somewhere and they couldn't just pull it through. Great, that's what I wanted.

What did they do? put a transmitter on it shoved it in the wall while I was out and left.

I worked construction growing up pretty much every summer at least from 7th grade thru sophomore year of undergrad. Remodeled 2 of my own homes after. The crap "professionals" hide under ground and in walls is astounding.

Thank your colleagues for people feeling they need to watch you work.