1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Supply Yard Pics

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Gene $immons, Dec 8, 2005.

1. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We have purchased several thousand blocks over the years and the prices have ranged from in the $20s into the $40s. When we get a deal on2x3x4 blocks, I'll buy a bunch and then sometimes even sell them. One at a time from our shop we get $55-65 each. The cost of the block isn't always a major cost factor though, since they weigh about 3800# each, freight and handling is a major factor. This limits the amount that can be legally transported, and you need to be able to unload them. If you can unload them quickly, that is even better. Basically we hire flatbed tractor trailers to haul for us, and they'll get about 14 per load. We used to unload with a forklift and/or backhoe. Now we use an excavator, which makes it quick, sometimes 2 at a time. When the meter is running for trucking, that makes the most sense. However, if you don't have a machine, or can't get one easily, this will add substantially to the cost. The only way to cost average down would be to get a large number of blocks so the setup and delivery costs are spread over that number, rather than all that effort for just a few blocks.

2. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

They cost $20 and are 6'x2'x2' and weigh about 3000lbs.

3. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

You need pictures of Suburban lawn and Garden in Kansas city. Money no object!

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

really only $20..man I thought they would be a lot more

5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

ya it's very nice isn't it. i almost don't go there anymore because its to nice. i like sloshing around in the mud and dirt.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

SLS-
    That website is very impressive!!! Good Work!!!

Joe
    J&R Lawn and Landscaping

7. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate the compliment. We put a lot of sweat into the yard. Mostly we sell to landscapers and construction companies, so the yard is truck friendly. We do get walk in customers occasionally. Stop in if you are ever in Connecticut.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hey there is a kid looking for a whole bunch of tree's he's in PA but for the amount he wants you might want to contact him..In the Planting Bid thread