1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Supplying drinks and snacks, deductible?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by justgeorge, May 1, 2006.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I just hired my first employee and will be providing drinks (gatorade, pop, ice water) and snacks on the jobsite all summer long. Is that going to be a deductible expense? I don't see that categoy in Quickbooks, other than "other expense".

Thanks,
    George

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There's no Meals category? I know it ain't a meal but I would use that, it does fall under food and drink, anyhow.

3. justgeorge

There is a meals category but that's under "travel and entertainment", which I believe is limited to 50% of the expense. I'll keep searching.....

4. justgeorge

Aha - found it on the IRS web site:

"Deduction limit on meals. You can generally deduct only 50% of the cost of furnishing meals to your employees. However, you can deduct the full cost of the following meals.

Meals that qualify as a de minimus fringe benefit as discussed in section 2 of Publication 15-B. This generally includes meals you furnish to employees at your place of business if more than half of these employees are provided the meals for your convenience. "

That should cover it, now I just have to figure out how to code it in QuickBooks.

Thanks,
    George

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

you wont get in trouble even if you do 200% of the value....

now if you report 10k in profit when you own a house and 5 cars then you will get audited