1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Swap manual for auto?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Henry, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone here ever swapped a manual trans for an auto?

The truck I would like to do this in is an 81 International S1800. I've used it for 3 years with the manual but it's getting to be really annoying. The trans has shifting problems right now and I figure if it needs changing why not an auto?

Can it be done?

2. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

I plow for a tranny shop, and they say your best bet is to find another truck (wreckers ?) that's automatic for parts. Should be similar year, engine etc. Then just a matter of swapping parts.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

You'll probably save yourself a lot of grief if you go with a floor shifter (I know B&M makes one) instead of installing the column shifter. BTW, I'd let a tranny shop do it unless you're a pretty good mechanic.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Its going tobe a expensive swap you can put a used transmission in but if the sucker goes south on you your looking at a 5000 dollar bill to get it rebuilt. Do you have a 2 spd rear axle if so you may have to swap the center section out for a single speed unit. What does this truck have for a engine is it gas or diesel I know old Cargostar COEs used to have Alisons in them I think they were 6spds.

Personally I would either go find a truck that has a automatic or suffer with the manual I prefer manual myself steep hills and automatic transmissions don't mix.

Good Luck